I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite Tubing Handle Question
Posted by: Philip Ptak (---.itt.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 10:23AM

I am planning to finish building a rod that I wanted to build a few years ago. I am going to use a graphite tube for the butt grip, but I can't remember how to install it. I assume I glue the spacers/arbors on the blank first, wait until they cure and then slide the tubing down and glue it to the arbors. Yes/no? The tubing I am using is 14" long, so I assume I will have a spacer/arbor near each end and one in the middle. If so, how do I make sure the middle arbor will be securely glued to the tube? If I place adhesive on the 3 arbors and slide the tubing down, I envision the adhesive being removed or sqeegied (sp?) from the middle arbor before the tubing is in place. What is the proper way to do this?

Thanks,

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite Tubing Handle Question
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 10:37AM

There will be enough epoxy left on the arbor in the middle. I have made several handle like this. You really only need a very thin layer of epoxy to get things adhere.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 11:58AM

As you slide it over the center arbors (likely should have more than one) twist the tube then back it up & check that there is a film of epoxy all around the arbor. By twisting and backing up you will smear epoxy on the inside of the tube. As Mike has already pointed out you only need a little for a strong bond. In fact a thin bond on a tight arbor is stronger than a thick coating of epoxy alone.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 12:51PM

Phillip,
When doing this, I generally use the poly foam arbors. I ream each of the arbors to be a nice fit on the blank.
I double check to insure that each arbor is a nice slip fit on the inside of the tubing handle. i.e. a nice slid fit with no binding, but very little slop as well.
The idea is that the total amount of arbors will be the same as the length of the handle.
The arbors are so light, that very little weight will be added to the rod by having a full length arbor with a thin layer of glue.

p.s.
I have done the same thing by using old poor quality cork rings with lots of holes in them. The cork is very light, easy to machine and the holes in the cork make an excellent glue bond on the rod. This is a very good use for those rings that are not of good enough quality to be used as a visible handle.

Then, I mix up a batch of slow curing epoxy - coat the rod, and work each arbor down the rod to its correct position, just like a cork handle. Then, a thin layer of epoxy over the outside of the arbors and on the inside of the handle. Slide the handle down, wipe off the excess glue and you are done.

If you didn't want to use a full length arbor, a very simple way to do it would be to use a few wraps of masking tape to hold the arbors that you want to use in place on the rods.
Simply out a few wraps of tape on the blank below the location where you want each arbor to be located.
Then, slide each arbor up the rod to give you glue application room, coat each blank location with glue, slide each arbor down, coat the inside of the handle, and the surface of each arbor and slide the handle in place. Work the handle up and down a bit to insure that you have a nice secure glue lock and you will be good to go.

In any event, I would suggest that you do the entire handle in a single batch of glue for maximum strength. This is why I suggest the use of a slow drying glue to give you enough working time for good positioning of the arbors, and handle.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2009 11:09AM

You can put the arbors on first and let them dry. This way when you glue the handle on they will not move.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.gatcf.jcu.edu.au)
Date: October 06, 2009 12:58PM

You could also glue the arbors into the tube and ream it to fit the blank. Admittedly, the only way around not having that thin film of epoxy inside the tube is to glue one end, then glue the middle, clean the inside, then glue the final arbor from the other end. Once you ream to fit the blank then when you glue that up the epoxy will be on the blank surface. However, the amount is small enough that weight gain is negligible. The important thing is to glue enough of the blank to get enough under each arbor. Surface prep!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster