I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using rods blanks as shallow water anchors
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 02:34PM

Has anyone ever played with the idea of using heavy E or S glass rod blanks as a "Stick It" type shallow water anchor? I don't know how well, if at all, they would work but the price difference between those blanks and the anchors out there would make it almost worth it.
What are your thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using rods blanks as shallow water anchors
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 02:50PM

Yes, I know some guys who are using solid glass boat rod blanks as "stake out poles" in their kayaks.

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.98.84.esconett.org)
Date: September 18, 2009 02:52PM

I use an old offshore rod cut down to 5' as a stake out pole for my Kayak while inshore fishing. I have used PVC, aluminum tubing, and broken tops of sailboarding masts, the old fishing rod is the best for my aplication.

It is silent while stalking tails and can penetrate even the most stubborn shell bottom.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 03:58PM

Yes you can! Glass works better than carbon because it gives a little easier and absorbs the movement of the boat in the swells. I found some solid glass 20lb boat rod blanks at the Expo in North Carolina a few years back for less than 7 bucks apiece. Made some stake out poles and one \"StickIt\" anchor. All have worked great and at a fraction of the cost of the store bought items.

I ground the end of them to a lightly rounded point and coated that with epoxy. I guess you could cap the end with a metal cap or something if you did not think the naked glass would hold up but mine are doing fine so far.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:04PM

You might want to consider one of the Mud Hole gaff building blanks. Affix a cap with leash and make a simple stainless spike for the tip ... glue and wrap the spike just like you would a hook.

Posted by: Hillrie Rouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 07:47PM

3/8" solid stainless rod 5ft. half inches long-------- drill a hole in the top end and put a shackle to tie the rope to---Spear it to the bottom like trowing a spear---------------coonass la marsh way of doin it.-----Works like a charm----------can work in up to 8 ft of water as long as your a strong indian-----------HA

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.43.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 11:12AM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might want to consider one of the Mud Hole
> gaff building blanks. Affix a cap with leash and
> make a simple stainless spike for the tip ... glue
> and wrap the spike just like you would a hook.

I talked to Todd at Mudhole yesterday and that was his suggestion as well. I'll have to pick one up on the next order and try it.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: September 22, 2009 09:20AM

I was thinking of a cheap way to make one of these stakeout anchors as well for my boat. I was walking thru a construction equipment place on Saturday, and I found somthing called a slate bar. It's basically about a five foot long crowbar, with a point on one side, and a flattened bend at about a 45 degree angle on the other side. I figured that this would work great for a stakeout anchor.

Pros: heavy enough to penetrate almost any bottom
-solid
-should keep even a good-size boat still in a moderate to heavy current
-cheap

Cons: heavy
-made of a lesser grade steel, so I would think that rust would be an issue
-could potentially cause damage to a boat if I'm not careful with it.

I checked Home Depot, and they had the same tool in the garden / sledge hammer section for about $10 more.

I am going to see if an old glass blank that I have would work instead. The price is right, the guides are already removed, and I like the fact that it won't rust. If that doesn't work, I really like the idea of the MH gaff.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2009 01:09PM

A glass boat or trolling rod blank is quite heavy, won't rust and can be had cheap at a yard sale in the form of older pier and boat rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster