I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stabilized wood
Posted by: Jeff McGee (---.dsl.seanet.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 04:37PM

I am looking for a source on stabilized wood. Everything I have found thus far is mostly for knife builders, and is too small of pieces for rod brips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stabilized wood
Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.mghl.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:09PM

Try board sponsor Reelseatblanks.com on the left.

Walt

Posted by: Jeff McGee (---.dsl.seanet.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:30PM

I did see their products, but I didn't see anything larger than the 7/8" - 1" squares. I am going to do a halibut rod and the grip diameter would be larger than the 1" square blocks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:32PM

Call or email and ask them. They can do special cuts and sizing.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:39PM

Jeff, Steve has a great selection of larger pieces. I know that he's got 1.5" in quite a few colors and types of wood, and they are great people to deal with as well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 06:57PM

Steve's the guy. Give him a call. He's got a lot of stuff that's not on his site. Great to deal with!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 09:56PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 11:45PM

Get your own figured wood and send it to a company that will stabilize your wood for you.

Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.dyn-wireless.t6broadband.com)
Date: September 19, 2009 06:50PM

Jeff: Give us a call or send us an email at kfandb@yahoo.com with your wants and needs. We have quite a bit of inventory in 1 1/4' up to 1 1/2" square stock that is not listed on our website. Thanks!
Steve Kincaid
reelseatblanks.com
815-248-4722

Steve Kincaid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 10:29PM by Steven Kincaid.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 10:40PM

Steve, Will you be bringing pieces suitable for making rod grips to High Point?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 20, 2009 12:02AM

He told me that he plans on bringing both stabilized and non-stabilized and will have some show specials! You will love his products AND his service. If you want something particular, shoot him an e-mail and he can probably bring some

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.dyn-wireless.t6broadband.com)
Date: September 20, 2009 10:03AM

Fred: You bet!! I talked to Mike Barkley, Mark Blabaum and a few other builders and picked their brain on what and how much to have at the show. This is the 1st time for us so we want to do our best to do it right. My partner Brian and I have been drying, cutting and sending wood out for stabilizing for 2 months now. And yes, we will have stabilized, dyed and stabilized and unstabilized wood in reel seat insert size blanks and large blanks up to 1 1/2" square from 5" to 12" long. FRED: Any thoughts or suggestions from you on this or ANY of the other forum members would be greatly appreciated. We'll do our best to have it there for you. Looking forward to the ICRB show in February!!

Steve Kincaid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 11:50AM by Steven Kincaid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster