I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

choosing the right thread
Posted by: Chris Hlasnick (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 01:53AM

I'm new to this forum and to rod building. How important is the brand of thread? Are they all pretty much the same? I realize some are nylon, some metallic, and some are NCP. If brand is important, could someone please make some suggestions of some of the better ones. Thanks for your help------Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: choosing the right thread
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 02:03AM

Chris -
I don't think brand is as important as choosing the correct type and size. If you stick with the major manufacturers (and distributors to the left) you should have no problem whatsoever. The differences will be those that you develop preferences for. For example lots of people like to use Madiera thread - I do not. The thread is good, runs smoothly, retains color well - I just do not -prefer it. My "go to" choices are Gudebrod and National thread but that is not to say I don't use Robison-Anton or Fish Hawk or Madiera just that those are my normal choices.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 07:06AM

Personally I like the Gudebrod and Pac Bay Rodsmith regular nylon for wraps. I only build fly rods so I use size A only. I prefer regular nylon over the NCP also. I just think it looks better, even without CP. To me NCP looks dull and lacks the luster that you will get once it is covered with the wrap finish. My advice is to get several different brands of the thread colors you want to use, get a scrap piece of blank and make a bunch of wraps of the different threads and finish them. Sounds like a lot of extra work, but it will give you a good representation of how all the different threads will look finished. For metallic thread I use the Gudebrod and Fish Hawk. The Gudebrod has a bit more shine than the Fish Hawk, but the Fish Hawk is easier to use.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2009 08:22AM

You can use nearly any thread, but only a few are designed expressly for use as guide wrapping thread. Sewing threads may have lubricants in them that can cause various finishing problems. Just keep that in mind if you run into trouble with a non-guide wrapping thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster