I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gorilla Glue?
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 01:26PM

I should add that I was less than impressed with the gorilla brand glue. I tried Tite Bond Poly and haven't looked back, it cures twice as fast as the gorilla glue and just seems to work better for me. Thanks Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Charlie Schillinsky (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 02:25PM

Bob Meiser Wrote:
> My advise ... If you are a hobby builder (and have
> not yet developed issues with epoxies) then stick
> with conventional adhesives ...
>
> ... But if your serious about production rod
> building you may want to consider other options.

Thanks Bob. I value your judgement. I'm an experienced rod builder having started in the 50's building rods for a local fishing shop in Oakland, CA. I have kept records and have a few more than 1800 under my belt, with the very largest numbers coming in the 80's. I've slowed down due to various factors but I still enjoy making rods, especially for charity events. I no longer sell them commercially.

I was just interested because I have seen a couple of posts on various boards espousing the use of Gorilla Glue and having used it for other purposes I really had my doubts to the practicality of it.

Thanks again for your input, it is deeply appreciated.

Charlie

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 04:04PM

You are liable to read just about anything on some of the various rod building boards. This one sees so many really good builders that any practice that is the least bit suspect will quickly be rooted out.

Do remember that no one here said you should not or could not use it..........just that for normal cork ring glue up there are better products available.

Posted by: Charlie Schillinsky (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 04:25PM

That was my take as well.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 05:19PM

It's all good Charlie,

Our main reason for experimenting with alternatives to epoxies as adhesives were alergy issues ...

I carried quite a pit of experience with poly adhesives from the construction trades so researched them for composite tube usage as well.

If done correctly the two were quit compatable.

All and all It was a wise decision to go this direction <> For several reasons other then the the original intent.

I love it when thigs work out that way ... };^) ... !!!

... Sadly we still cannot find a better overall alternative to epoxies for finish work.

I've been invited to do semiars in Japan with two handed rods this Spring , and while there I will visit a small shop to look at a new finishing process that they have developed ... Actually a new twist on an old process <> It sounds promising.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: September 18, 2009 08:49AM

Without trying being contrary, I have found that some of these expanding polyurethane glues to be very usefull and they can work very well, but I would not recomend it as a hobbyists or one off at a time rod builders glue unless he has good experience with the stuff.
I was put on to expanding polyurethane glues back in the late 80s by the late Malcome Grey who was the original owner of Greys of Alnwick, now part of the Hardy's operation. Used carefully, I find they are really good for building cork handles out of shives on the blank. I also find they make light work of fitting pref formed handles, and this was particularly the case with those very long pre formed double handed foregrips for spey rods. I have used the Sadolin brand, and the UK's Siesta Cork's own brand, and I also find Gorrilla glue to be good, but not the Sumo glue. I would agree that its uses are quite specific, and care is needed to seal ends of components well to avoid seapage of the expanding glue. You should not need to wet the surfaces as there is enough moisture in the air for the glue cure proprerly. It is a strong glue, providing you dont expect it to fill large gaps and voids beyond about 3 times volume of glue applied, and as such will retain good integrity for structural strength.
It is very usefull in a production environment for reducing costs, for the glue itself, for reducing clean up solvents cost and usage and labor time saving.
Once the container is opened the shelf life is limited. This stuff will stick to virtually anything including your skin. It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you can experiment with it to get experience on how to use it, and with thoughtfull application, its a good and usefull glue for rod building.

Edited for language

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2009 09:21AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 09:29AM

I guess it's time for another reminder about using bad language. This site is viewed by rod builders of all ages. Many younger kids read it and their parents are quick to comment to me if they see bad language.

Please don't use bad language. And remember, taking a word and replacing a few of the letters with things like &!# won't pass muster. If you can tell what word was intended, it's the same as if you'd just gone ahead and used it.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 18, 2009 12:20PM

I confess i have used gorilla glue to repair a few commercial rods where the reel seats were spinning. I drilled 1/8 holes in the seats where the reel sits, these were fuji and they have indents just waiting to be drilled. Injected a few drops of water and hit it with a hair drier. Then injected the gorilla glue and spun the reel seats to spread it and mix with the water to make the foam expand. I used chapstick to coat the surrounds of the hole and the areas at top and bottom of the reel seat where the foam expands out of.
It does not stick to chapstick (don't ask HOW i found that fact out) and falls of quite easily and a quick wash with joy dish-wash liquid later and the rods were ok. It was a $10 repair and about worth what was paid for it.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: September 18, 2009 04:03PM

Thankyou for reminding me of my lack of sensitivity Tom, and I happily see that the offending piece has been edited. Please accept my appologies.
Just to add a note on durability of expanding polyurethane glues such as Gorrila Glue-my own favourite saltwater fly rods have handles glued up with expanding polyurethane glue, including the reel seats-they are now 12 years old and the veterans of most of my fishing trips to anywhere I fished over that period. Not one rod has had any problems with components coming loose or bonds breaking down.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 04:07PM

It's okay.

Certainly the urethane adhesives are more than strong enough for the task. I don't think anyone doubts that. Unless you do a poor job of preparing your bonding surfaces, they'll be more than adequate for anything we do on a fishing rod. If such a bond did fail, it's not likely to be the adhesive's fault. But there are simpler and easier adhesives for those who aren't sensitized to epoxy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster