I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Foam Grip Question
Posted by: Heath Boeddeker (---.runestone.stellarllc.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 11:12PM

Howdy All ,

Since I have already posted a couple questions on the forum you all probally know that I ordered a Kit from Jannsnetcraft earlier this week that came with Foam Grips.Ordered on Monday arrived Wednesday afternoon,not bad in my opinion. My Concern/Question is this . How much stretch does the foam have as concerning the inside diamater . The Grips inside Diameter is 1/4" but the butt of the Blank looks to be about a 3/8" Outside Diameter . Please any input would be helpful. Thank you again in advance .

Heath

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Foam Grip Question
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 11:32PM

More than enough. It will fit tightly, but that's what you want.
There is an article in the library section about installing foam grips. I must admit that I am not at all pleased with the method in the article and it does not work well for me when I follow the directions exactly. But do this: Read the article. Then watch the video Mudhole has posted on Youtube that demonstrates the method detailed in the article. Here's the link: [www.youtube.com]
And if you are uncomfortable with anything you see in the video, email me and I'll detail an alternative method that works a whole lot better (and more easily) for me.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 11:35PM

We have good luck boiling the eva foam grips, then sliding down, using the epoxy. Easier, i think.

Date: September 16, 2009 11:47PM

Howdy Gary ,

Okay Thank you I will watch the video and read the article .If I have any problem or concern afterwards I will contact you again thank you Gary.

Heath

Date: September 16, 2009 11:49PM

Howdy Kyle,

How long do you recommend Boiling the Foam grips for ? What is the best way to keep the Foam grips from floating ?
Thank you in advance for your continued help .

Heath

Posted by: Hillrie Rouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 07:44AM

Heath--------I sugest that you get a copy of Step by Step Rod Building ----it is put out by flex coat and is available at most of the vendors to the left here-----I got mine from mud hole

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2009 08:01AM

Read the instructions on the FAQs page here. It will work exactly perfectly for you. You do not need to boil your grips. Just do what the FAQs page tells you to do.

Date: September 17, 2009 08:54AM

Howdy Hillrie,

Thank you for the Suggestion Hillrie . I did Order the book and received it with my Order . My Question is/was is if the Foam would stretch that far with out tearing to slide that far down the Blank .

Heath

Date: September 17, 2009 08:55AM

Howdy Tom .

Thank you I will give it a shot .

Heath

Date: September 17, 2009 09:53AM

The key is getting epoxy between the grip and the blank. If you fail to do that, the grip will simply squeegee the epoxy from the blank below it, being very hard to slide/move along the blank.

If you do it correctly, two fingers will easily push the grip into place and you'll have to be careful not to push the grip completely off the butt end of the blank.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 12:48PM

Follow Tom's instructions to the letter and you wont have any problems getting the grips on. It will amaze you to see how easy it is.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: September 18, 2009 03:42PM

Howdy Tom and Jay,

Thank you for the information. But if you go back and reread the orginal posting .My question was if the Grip would stretch to fit the blank a 1/8" . Cause it didn't seem like there was that amount if stretch to the grip.

Heath

Date: September 18, 2009 03:52PM

Yes, it will. You can always ream it a bit if in doubt. A very coarse reamer will enlarge the bore fairly quickly.

Date: September 18, 2009 05:19PM

Howdy Tom ,

Thank you I will give it a shot and will keep you all posted .Hopefully on my success LOL.

Heath

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 21, 2009 10:57PM

It is very easy to put a 3/4 id grip on a blank with a 1 inch butt. I put a 5/8 id grip on a 1 inch blank. I had so much downward push on it that my feet came off the floor !! But it went on there. I picked up the wrong grip. I was making a wading staff for my brothers Trout fishing trips.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster