I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Electric label help
Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: September 06, 2009 08:34PM

Okay, so I'm following the instructions in RodMaker to the tee with one exception. The only Krylon Clear Acryl that Wally world had was flat and satin. The matte box was empty, guess everybody's making electric labels. Anyway I bought one can of each and made multiple labels to experiment on. After 3 coats of Krylon, either flat or satin, my labels have a white haze on em. Did I use too much or will it go away with finish? I only made about 3 sweeps for each coat and waited 10 minutes between coats just to be sure. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric label help
Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.rt-bras.pell.centurytel.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 08:57PM

I have had this happen before and it usually clears up after it drys. One way to prevent this is to wait longer between coats and only light coats.

www.blackhorsecustomrods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 06, 2009 09:46PM

A haze is VERY indicative of not allowing a previous layer of finish to release enough of the solvent in the formula. As stated, it SHOULD clear up with time. An hour between coats is a much better idea IMO.

Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 06:51AM

Amen to Lyle and Jim's answers

Jimi Ellis
Southern Grafix
www.SouthernGrafix.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2009 09:21AM

It is not necessary to apply the Krylon fixative if you develop handling and drying procudures that minimize surface touching of the media. The images will be clear under epoxy with no hazing. These decals can be placed without touching the surface with your fingers. An eight hour dry period is advisable. Try out these procedures: 1. Leave one end of the decal with excess backing so that you do not damage the end during the backing peel back - trim the last edge after the separation with a pair of sharp scissors - the decal will stick to the scissors - grasp it by the edges with your fingers to pull loose and place. 2. When pressing the decal into place use a soft clean paper towell and apply only vertical pressure - no burnishing stroke. 3. If you are edging the decal to make the seam invisible on a black blank use an acrylic paint stick and not a black Sharpie - solvent in Sharpie will affect adhesive on edge and cause rolling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster