I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Tiger Wrap Color??
Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 10:56PM

I am working on my first tiger wrap. For the base layer I used red metallic with black nylon and then covered with 2 coats of TM high build. For the top layer I wrapped with the same black nylon. The color is a little darker than I would like after pulling the "single" sacrifical thread but the holo effect can still be seen.

My question is, if I re-wrap the top layer and use 2 sacrifical threads so there is not so much black, would that lighten up the color or would the effect be lost? Or does it lighten up when the finish is applied?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Tiger Wrap Color??
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: September 02, 2009 12:06AM

Scott,
The only time that I use two sacrificials is when I have three base colors. That way the angles are similar. I can't say what it would look like with two on the base and two sacrificials. The angles may be off and the effect may be different. Although, when you disturb the bottom layer the angles are out the window

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 05:39AM

Ya can't hurt anything by removing the top wrap & starting over. (even if you epoxied it!)

Try an idea and if your not happy pull it off and try another combo. Best advise I could give here.
Sorry

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 08:07AM

Try it and see but with the base wrap being both fairly dark clors, it's going to be a tad on the dark side.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2009 09:54AM

The bottom layer determines whether the effect will be striking or subtle (the articles plainly spell this out).

For a more visually striking effect, you want greater contrast on the bottom layer. Your combination of metallic red and black determined that you were going to have a more subtle effect, no matter what you did with the top layer.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 10:15AM

My guide wraps are black with met red trim bands and I would like my tiger to be dark, just not as dark as it is turning out (if that makes sense). So, is there any color combinations to make a successful metallic red and black tiger wrap to match this? From the pictures I've seen, red with white base and black top layer is too light for this rod. I was thinking more space between the top threads might let a little more red thru?? I think the metallic red on top would be too red.

Date: September 02, 2009 10:58AM

You really need to read the articles.

For more contrast, wrap the bottom in black and white or blank and yellow. Then make your primary color on top your metallic red. This will give you a wrap that is overall red metallic with dark undertones.

The top thread determines the color of the wrap. The bottom threads determine the amount of contrast.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 11:15AM

Not to disagree with Tom but from my experience, metalic doesn't seem to work well as the top thread. At least not to me but that's the beauty of this craft.

Date: September 02, 2009 11:31AM

If you use the same diameter, it will be okay. Otherwise, just use dark red nylon on top. The thing is that it is the top thread that determines the overall color tone of the wrap.

The problem with metallics in Tiger Wraps is generally their smaller size.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 11:32AM

Before trying to use 2 sacraficial threads. Try using a larger size sacraficial than the remaining thread and see.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: thad peach (66.129.100.---)
Date: September 02, 2009 02:18PM

Raymond and I agree and that is what I do. I wrap most of my tigers with A, and C is my sacrificial thread. I have done red metallic and blue metallic as well as burgundy metallic and all have come out just fine. A lot of trail and error but when I went to the C thread as my sacrificial my problems that I was having evaporated and I was happy with the results. I tried the removal of two threads and didn't like those results. Mostly my bases are black and white. I will use black and yellow if I am wanting something a little different. Even painting the underside of a wrap white will bring out more of the color if wrapping on a dark blank.

I have read those articles and tried those techniques but we all will learn when we do it the hard way and never know might find something that works out better. It is better to start with those articles so the learning curve isn't so great then modify one's technique and share it with us here.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 02:48PM

Thanks for all the input. I've read the articles and looked at a bunch of pictures but never found exactly the color combination I was looking for. The look I want may not even exist. I want the dark subtle look but this is too subtle. I like the look that I have except that it is a little too dark and I would like the red to show more but not to the extent the red metallic top wrap would give (at least I don't think I would). I am going to try a size C or D sacrificial and see what happens. I'll try and take some pictures to see a comparison.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: September 02, 2009 03:54PM

Try regular red nylon thread as your top wrap. If you like the effect, be sure to use color preserver on your top thread.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: September 02, 2009 08:42PM

I'd go with black/white or black/silver underneath, with red nylon, no CP on top for a dark red tiger with good contrast.

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.252.---)
Date: September 03, 2009 10:34AM

I did something very similar to what Ted described except with Met Red on top.
It matches the red trim bands on the rod very well.
I'll agree that most Throop wraps with Metallic top threads are muted, but I think the metallic underwraps help the contrast a bit.
Hope this helps

link to photo
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster