I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clemens Apogee
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 06:32PM

I recently got my hands on a 6ft 2in Apogee blank. I'm very impressed! To bad this one is not mine.

It has the tinyest tip I have ever seen. To small for my tip gadge. It only weighs 15grams and is faster
in action and recovery than I expected when I got it. It's gotta be 25yrs old so for it's time it must have been
"the bomb" as my son's would say.

I don't fully understand the constuction and reasoning but I like it none the less.

Anyone know where I can find another one?? PLEASE!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clemens Apogee
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2009 08:13PM

I believe those were made with solid graphite tips fused into the tubular blank. The factory that made those closed or burned, I forget which. That was the end of them, although other manufacturers were approached about making something similar. It didn't pan out.

You know Dale and how to reach him - shoot him an email and ask. I'd imagine he'd be happy to hear from you.

Date: August 30, 2009 09:39PM

Been meaning to let Dale know what I've been up to. Quite a while since we've chatted.
I immediately thought about him when the blank arrived. (duh!)
Thanks for the reminder

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 31, 2009 01:11AM

Raymond, how would you rate the power of the blank? (By any measure - fly wt, CCS, spin blanks etc.)

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 01:46PM

There are some solid tip ice rods made. Maybe glue such a segment into the tip of a regular rod.

Date: August 31, 2009 02:51PM

Mo,
I would say that it is a 1/2 fly wt.. I will CCS it soon and let ya know for sure.

John,
The Apogee is designed & constructed differently than any other blank made before or since. When the factory in Japan that manufactured these blanks
burnt down the fire destroyed the machinery, process paperwork, design drawings, everything. Other manufacturing tried without success to build
those blanks so the simple solution you suggest, I'm affraid is out of the question.

Thanks for the thought & reply though!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.storm.ca)
Date: August 31, 2009 03:32PM

I had an Apogee blank back in the 1980's. If I remember correctly it was 8 1/2 or 9 ft. long and was rated for lines from #4 all the way up to about #8 or #9 wt. They were definitely different than any other blank available then or even now.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 04:42PM

Fuzzy memory - I think they were imported by a company that went by "DKNY" ( "imported by DKNY" ). They were indeed TOTALLY unique

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 07:55PM

I have an Apogee fly rod 5-9 weight that I built from the blank. Tried to sell it once (silly me), and boy am I glad it didn't sell. And, yes, it will cast lines 5 through 9 in the hands of a skilled fly caster (I'm not).
Clyde Dent

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.storm.ca)
Date: August 31, 2009 09:49PM

Clyde- I think that was what my Apogee was, a 9 ft. 5-9 wt. Unfortunately I broke mine. I think the tip on it was only a 3.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:40AM

I still have that same flyrod.Still going strong. I used a single foot SIC guide for the tip. No locking wrap and not finish,just color preserver.
Raymond,shoot me an email. I can help you out.
Chuck

Date: September 01, 2009 01:48AM

Chuck,

Your email his "hidden" on the forum. my email rcadams1957@msn.com

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Jim Little (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 10:49AM

I have one of those that I built many years ago......still fishing with it. I tried to make some with solid ice rods blanks but with no success. Mine is a 6'-0 spinning rod called the "FleaFlicker"

Date: September 01, 2009 11:04AM

Jim,
That's the same blank I will be building for a buddy. He calls it his Flea Flicker.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:10PM

Raymond,
Email unhidden and one sent to you.
Chuck

Date: September 01, 2009 01:31PM

Thanks Chuck,

Recieved & replied

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Christopher Neil Wooten (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 11:01PM

Hello, Raymond. It's been a while since this post. I would like to inform everyone that I'm beginning my first prototype blank tomorrow that will be drawing on that technology, if my shipment of materials comes in tomorrow. (Saturday) At the latest next week. I know it will be quite a journey; also a manufacturing, business, and deeper physics learning experience, but I know this idea is something that I'm supposed to see through. It will happen, folks. I already have a digitally signed document dated New year's day stating the specifics of my idea. "Where there is no vision, the people perish."

I hope to merge this concept into heavier rods, distance casters, and actual 2-piece rods as well. Thanks.

Military officer: "Ever just 'know' something, Dr. Nash?"
Dr. Nash: "Constantly."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster