I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Huge Finish Problem NEED HELP
Posted by: Jeffrey Janusonis (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 01:27PM

I just finished a rod for my dear wife I used Madeira Ploly neon 40 thread and HT Metalic for trim bands. I applied three coats of Chromaseal color preserver to the rod each coat was given a minimum of 12 hrs drying time between coats. I then applied Flexcoat Highbuild finish to the wraps. I used the Pac-Bay mixer to mix the finish I turned the rod in the dryer for 12 hrs . I checked the rod the next day in the afternoon the finish was very tacky. I imediately thought that I screwed up the mix proportions. so I mixed up another batch and applied it again. Again i put the rod in my dryer and set it to turn for 12 hrs. I did not get to the rod yesterday at all. This morning when I checked I was shocked to find the flexcoat still LIQUID. Both batches were from the same flexcoat quart kit. both batches were measured with the flexcoat syringes. The second batch was proportioned exactley . Even the left over flexcoat in the mixing cup did not show any sign of hardening . We have had very high humidity here in the North East for several days. Epoxy cures by chemical reaction rather than air temp as I understand. Anyone who can shed some light on this problem please do!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tight Wraps to all
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Huge Finish Problem NEED HELP
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2009 01:57PM

Jeffery sounds like you made a big common mistake mixing two parts of A instead of one part A-B don't ask how i know
John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 01:58PM

Jeff,
Sorry to hear of your problem.
1. Have you ever used any of the flex coat from this batch before?
2. Do you have more than 2 different bottles or containers of flex coat? i.s. is it possible that you may have accidentally mixed two different batches of both part A or both batches of part B?

3. Before doing anything radical - Double check your containers, and mix up a third batch of flex coat, and simply spread it out on a piece of aluminum foil. Put it in your oven at 150 degrees for 6 hours and make sure that you get a good cure on the mix.

The fact that the remaining mix in your containers is still liquid forces me to think that the flex coat is bad, or two parts of both A and or B were mixed together.

================
If you had a good cure on your chrome seal, it is quite possible that you might be able to wipe off the uncured flexcoat from your rod without damaging the wraps and chromeseal.

If so - and if you are unsure of your flex coat - throw out the flex coat and get a new batch of coating.

Good luck

Roger

p.s.
With high humidity, you should still get a good cure on the flex coat. You might get some blushing due to the humidity, but the cure should still be sound.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 02:05PM

john i did the same thing, it looks nice just never drys.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 27, 2009 02:37PM

I'll admit to the two parts A blunder, but I did catch myself when mixing it, it did not get swirly, so I just added 2 parts B and had more finish than I needed to build even finish 3 rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 03:07PM

I always mark my containers with a -BIG A and B , and even the syringes so I know what goes with what.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 03:14PM

I'm guessing it wasn't mixed well, and yes I read the use of a mixer in his post.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2009 03:35PM

Take a look at your Flex Coat bottles. The levels of each should be the same, assuming you haven't spilled or wasted any and that everything has gone into the syringes and then into the mixing cup.

If you find that the levels of the 2 bottles is not the same, you have almost certainly mixed portions from the same bottle.

There is a possible fix but check your bottle levels and then return and let us know if this indeed the problem.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 05:07PM

Hint!! Take a torch , be careful and heat the finish on the rod, while rod is turning and try and remove the old finish when it liquefies. Next using a new bottle of finish mix a new batch. Sounds like your old finish is contaminated.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 05:19PM

All speculation at this point. It COULD have been poorly mixed. It COULD be you used 2 parts of A or 2 parts of B instead of one of each. I'm guessing not, though, because you would have had to make that mistake TWICE...for both the first and 2nd coat.

Is there a viscosity difference between part A and B? (Easy to tell, just tip each bottle and see if the contents moves at different speeds.)
If there isn't, there is another possibility, and that is that BOTH parts in your kit are either hardener or resin.

Stranger things have happened: I bought some Ace Hardware Extra Time Epoxy...I have used it for years and years...and mixed some to glue up a cork handle. It was completely set and unworkable in less than 5 minutes. I mixed some more...same thing. I went out and bought the same thing with a different lot #, and had 50+ minutes of working time. It was clear to me that the bad batch was 5 minute epoxy that was mislabeled.
Flex Coat is a great company and this might not be what happened at all. But there is that outside possibility that it isn't your fault. Try the test Roger suggested above to be sure.

Posted by: Dave Winn (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: August 27, 2009 06:06PM

Another gotcha, I have also mixed high build part A & 20 minute part B. it never set properly. I was sure I measured & mixed A & B correctly. Took some time to figure it out, but luckily I figured it out before I tossed all my epoxy

live & learn,
most of the time the hard way

Date: August 27, 2009 06:23PM

No, your finish is not contaminated in any way. Leave the torch turned off - that's not going to do you any good.

Again, check the levels in the bottles. They should be identical. If not, then you have very likely mixed 2 portions of the same part. If so, there is a way to save your wraps.

Date: August 29, 2009 02:23PM

Tom the heat was to help remove the excess epoxy that did not set up, not to make it set up. .. If he keeps adding epoxy, he will have one heck of a glob on his finish.
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 29, 2009 03:59PM

If he has 2 of the same parts on there, it won't need any heat. You can wipe it off with a finger.

Date: August 29, 2009 11:43PM

If at is the case you are correct. I thought he said it was tacky! If it were tacky, it sounds like it started to set up. If he had just used one of the inexpedience (double hardener or double Resin, He would not have serration lines when mixing. I believe I am correct on that point

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 30, 2009 08:17AM

He said he applied another application of epoxy and it was still "liquid" the next morning.

Date: August 31, 2009 12:38PM

I stand corrected then. In that case I would just wipe it off and add a fresh coat

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster