I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acid wrap and single foot guides
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 09:37PM

I just read the thread about adding a "toe" to single foot guides. The important point made (to me) was about picking a guide suitable for the rod being built. Still not sure what I should do differently as the fisherman though:)

So, before I make a mistake, are single foot guides suitable for an acid wrapped salt water rod and if so, up to what pound class? Which guide series would be best? IIRC Fuji no longer offers the ones I would have thought were best.

Regarding the other thread, would an underwrap ever be a good idea with a single foot guide? Could it be possible to have the normal locking wrap around one leg and the underwrap or a trim band around the other leg? Also, if a "toe" isn't practical would a wing or a notch be? If the guides are being pulled straight out (slipping through the locking wraps without cutting them) one could conclude the locking wraps need something to grap hold of. Maybe the foot could be a bit narrower at the guide end? Maybe a hole could be made for the locking wraps to go through? I certainly don't see it as a "micro" only problem (not that I have a clue when a guide becomes a micro).

Really it seems like we need a foulproof single foot guide. I can see a concept "if" the diameter of the guide is smaller than the blank. Anyhow, if the line gets wrapped around the guide I'd sure rather have guide(s) pulled out than the whole nine yards going overboard! Get snagged on the bottom with 80+ braid in a drifting boat I could see that happening. Wow I'm getting morbid in my old age....must be thinking too much.

Russ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acid wrap and single foot guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:03AM

Single foot guides were originally designed and intended to be used on spinning and fly rods - rods where the guides are underneath the blank. So a spiral wrapped casting rod puts you into roughly the same category.

You can damage any guide if you bump and bang it enough. And even double foot guides can be ripped from their mooring. I'm not sure there are really any failings with single guides when used as intended. The key is to use the right guide for the particular application.

It might be more feasible to build a foulproof single foot guide than to add another aspect to the foot of the guide to keep it on the rod if it is fouled. It would require a different frame style but could certainly be done. If, of course, this is really enough of a problem to warrant the effort to create such a thing.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:58AM

What size and type rod are you building?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:08AM

Richard Kuhne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What size and type rod are you building?

Along the lines of 7 foot, 30-40# class, for live bait and some bottom fishing. Always fished mono in the past but curious to try braid. Reel is an Avet LX and I'll be fishing in SE Florida.

Russ

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 10:21AM

"one could conclude the locking wraps need something to grap hold of."

The locking wraps completely encircle the guide leg. Be hard to get much more secure than that. But anything can be damaged or made to fail if enough force is brought to bear.

Posted by: larry pickering (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 02:47PM

I just field tested a new blank from Swampland, the Big Show, spiral wrapped with size 8s single foot fly guides. on the bottom, 6 man limit of mangrove snappers and one angery 65 lb Cobia, worked great.

Larry Pickering

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: August 19, 2009 09:41AM

It depends on the guides. My goto tuna stick is acid wrapped CalStar GF765ML and it sports the no longer available Fuji LBSG Single Foot Heavy Duty SIC Boat guides. Too bad they are discontinued, I fish the rod with 80# test line, 27# of drag at strike and almost 35# at full. It has taken way too many tuna to count. I've fought more than a few fish on that rod with the drag at full and the fish still taking drag. No guide problems what so ever. No wrap issues either. My conclusion is that so long as the frames of the guides can handle the amounts of drag expected there is no reason why single foot guides can't be used for acid wrapped salt water rods.

Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (198.232.70.---)
Date: August 28, 2009 09:06AM

I built a 10' conventional plugging rod, Used O'quinn spiral, and my guides were tnsg 14 for the spiral and tsg 10 for the running. It casts like a dream and has taken 12lb bluefish. I am currently using 50lb stealth braid with 10lb drag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster