I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggested Blanks Available in the US
Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns1.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:24AM

i'm looking for some ideas on good quality blanks that aren't available in Australia that you have experience with. The target species is Black Bream. The type of blanks i am looking for are 7 foot, 2-6lb or 4-8lb with a fast or very fast action similar to the loomis S842-2 blanks. I try and achieve the lightest rod possible, best yet is 4.5oz. In Australia i have used the loomis, Graphite USA and Samurai (Fuji) blanks.So i am looking at alternatives, cheaper or similar priced. If i can get hold of cheaper blanks with similar quality to the previously named brands i will be very happy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart Klose

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggested Blanks Available in the US
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:04AM

Stuart,
You may want to start your search by using the "blank search" feature on MUDHOLE's site (to the left). I've built on Phenix blanks - very nice but maybe heavier than you are looking for. MUDHOLE also sells (and ships) St Croix , American Tackle, Lamiglas and other rod blanks that you might be interested in. You didn't say one piece or two piece so it's tough to tell. I would also have steered you to RAINSHADOW/FORECAST - but I believe they are available in Australia already.

Ken

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:30AM

That availability has changed drastically Ken. As far as I'm aware there is no active Batson distributor here in Oz anymore. A pity 'cos I really like the Batsons, and would definitely build more of them.

Stu, there are quite a few manufacturers that offer blanks suitable for bream fishing. To list all the series and models would take pages and pages. Best bet is to flip through the online catalogs of some of the sponsor suppliers (on the left). Mudhole is a good starting point: their blank search engine, once you work it out, does a very good job. You should be quite capable of putting a sub 4 oz rod together with something like a St. Croix SCIII.

Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns1.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:39AM

Thanks Ted and Ken

Yeah looking for 1pce.

Ted i am just trying to narrow down some different blanks to try other than the usual suspects on offer in Australia and if i can produce a quality product for lower overheads that would be great. The specs on the American Tackle Classic Series looks good but whats the quality of the blanks like. Also looking at the Batson site i couldn't find anuthing that really match what i was after, only in a medium taper or am i blind?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 11:59AM

Stuart
Likely Karry (Batson Enterprises) will also answer you but here are a few that likely fit what you're looking for

Rainshadow® Inshore Popping Rod Blanks Featuring RX7 Graphite
(Power Available: UL= Ultra Light, L = Light, ML = Medium Light, M = Medium, MH = Medium Heavy, H = Heavy) (Color Key: M = Matte Clear)
Model Color Length Sect Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt Tip Action Power Blank Wt. MSRP
IP840 Matte Clear 7'0" 1 4-6lb. 1/32 - 3/16 oz. 0.380 5.0 Moderate-Fast Ultra-Light 1.11 oz. $38.82
IP841 Matte Clear 7'0" 1 4-10lb. 3/16 - 3/8 oz. 0.400 5.0 Moderate-Fast Light 1.55 oz. $43.36
IP842 Matte Clear 7'0" 1 6-12lb. 1/4 - 1/2 oz. 0.400 5.0 Moderate-Fast Medium-Light 1.71 oz. $44.59

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 12:50PM

Ted,
an excellent option would be the new Custom Builder Series from Mud Hole.

S841-MHX 7'0", Spinning, 2-6 lb., B.0.330, T4.0, MHX -Slate
SJ842-MHX 7'0", Spin Jig, 6-12 lb. B.0.526, T4.5, MHX- Slate

Custom Builder Inshore Series

ISP702 CRB Inshore 7' 1pc 6-10# T4.5 B0.47 clear gloss

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 03:17PM

If your looking for two piece blanks S842-2 the Rainshadow ISP series in RX7 is as close as we have. The Forecast three piece blanks are surprisingly the fastest I have seen in a multy piece blank and worth hard look if you can live with a three piece at regardless of its lower price they are quality blanks for sure.

ISP842F M 7’0” 2 6-10 lb. 1/16-5/16 oz. 0.360 5.0 Mod-Fast ML 1.47 oz.
ISP843F M 7’0” 2 6-12 lb. 1/8-3/8 oz. 0.375 5.0 Mod-Fast M 1.94 oz.

Forecast® Spin Bass 3 & 4 Piece Travel Rod Blanks Featuring RX6 Graphite
(Power Available: L = Light, ML = Medium Light, MH = Medium Heavy, XH = Extra Heavy) (Color Key: CG = Clear Gloss)
Model Color Length Sections Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt Tip Action Power Blank Wt.
SB720-4 CG 6’0” 4 4-8 lb. 1/16-5/16 oz. 0.435 4.5 Fast L 1.40 oz.
SB781-3 CG 6’6” 3 6-12 lb. 1/8-3/8 oz. 0.500 5.0 Fast ML 1.89 oz.
SB783-3 CG 6’6” 3 10-17 lb. 5/16-3/4 oz. 0.535 5.5 Fast MH 2.19 oz.
SB841-3 CG 7’0” 3 6-12 lb. 1/8-3/8 oz. 0.605 5.5 Fast ML 2.20 oz.
SB843-3 CG 7’0” 3 10-17 lb. 5/16-3/4 oz. 0.635 6.0 Fast MH 2.33 oz.
SB845-3 CG 7’0” 3 12-25 lb. 3/8-1 1/4 oz. 0.600 7.0 Fast XH 3.04 oz.

We do have some serious interest from a few possible new Australian Distributors since Oz has disappeared but nothing has been set in stone as of yet. I have a few small shops there that I will list for you. Maybe swing by there shop and have a look at what they stock.

Nashy's Complete Angler in North Mackay Queensland
BJ's Pro Tackle in Meringandan Queensland

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.205.---)
Date: August 18, 2009 11:57PM

Out of the Batson stable Karry and Ken have listed most of the bream suitable models. Narrowing it down to 1 piece rods, we have:

RX7
IS600, IS 660, IS720 : These are shorter 1 piece UL spin models that make good short range flickers. Extended, they also do very good at general light lure work, handling both light plastics/jigheads and hardbodies well. The 720 extended by a foot would probably make a nice flats stick. Very light blanks.

ISB 720, ISB 780 : Spin Bass tapers. They offer much more low down power, equal to about 1 power up in the regular spin series. Fast actions, fast, light tips, good for flicking light plastics and jigs into rougher country, with plenty of power to extract stubborn fish. Larger butt diameters, slightly heavier blanks.

ISJ 781 : 1 power spin jig. Similar light tips, but faster than the ISB's, and more low down power.

IP 840 and 841 : Very nice, long, light blanks with mod-fast to fast actions, light tips, plenty of power, but in a thinner, lighter blank. I have the 841, and it works very well for situations where you are faced with a lot of "breaming" bycatch, such as trevallies, flathead, jacks and even barramundi.

The same tapers, except the IP's are available in RX6 graphite. Also, something to keep an eye out for are the discontinued RX7 multi-purpose spins. The code number for one I found really appealing was the old IS602, rated 2-8 lb and 5' in length. Extended to 6', I'd expect that would be quite good in the same applications as the newer models.

St. Croix also have a pretty wide range in SC2 and SC3 that offer great value. SC4 and SC5 models are quite higher in price, and it looks like you're working to a budget.
Looking at SC2 and SC3, there's a long list: pretty much everything rated UL, L, ML, MLXF would fit some sort of application. The XF's are only available in SC3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 12:12AM by Ted Morgan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster