I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Wholesaler Distributors
Posted by: Paul Freitas (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 12:26PM

Who are the best wholesaler distributors for rod building supplies it should included price, value, selection and customer service?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Wholesaler Distributors
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 01:27PM

Paul,

Un-hide your email, I suspect, everyone would rather take that conversation into a private area.

DR

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 01:39PM

Why not just call the sponsors on the left and make that decision yourself.....most if not all offer wholesale pricing. I personally would not simply take someone elses word for it on something like this.

The sponsors are here for a reason and every single one of them that I have dealt with have had nothing but beyond impressive service. I do not believe that Tom would allow a sponsor who consistently had complaints to remain here long, but that is my opinion.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 02:10PM

I'd suggest contacting wholesale distributors and find the ones that carry the best selection of supplies for the type of rods you build. Not all suppliers are going to have everything. Also, you may have to open an account with them first before discussing retail pricing.

For larger places like MudHole and Merrick, you can see online catalogs.

For smaller places like Bingham, you may want to call and talk to get a good idea of what they stock and what they can order.

I find I use a mix of wholesalers to help optimize my shipping costs. Example, I have to use Bingham for Fuji winding checks but Merrick for Matagi checks, and then Mudhole for other items the others might not stock or even carry. When I need checks, I'll probably throw some reel seats, etc in the order to help with overall costs.

Also figure in the added convenience/cost of time of online, fax, or email ordering - sometimes it's quicker to pick up the phone, other times it's a real saver for a feature like MudHole has to order online because I can keep a shopping cart going even when I log out so I don't forget something on my next order.

Lots of things to consider.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 10:18PM

Pick out about 4 to 6 companies. Make some moderate size purchases and see who performs. That's what I am in the process of doing. Takes a while but in time you will develope some relationships with probably more than one company. I'm just a hobby builder, and a new one at that so I'm a retail paying fool. No wholesale yet.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:52AM

I would guess that most use more than one supplier and would never post a reply to this. Everyone has their favorites but all are good

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 09:06AM

As Mike has posted - I use several distributors - depending on what I want and comparison shopping. One thing for certain you will NOT go 'wrong" with any of the sponsors listed here.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 06:28PM

I recommend you go to the 2010 Expo & meet them yourself eyeball to eyeball. I don't think you will find anything but winners there.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.dr02.glvv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 10:20PM

I deal with about a half a dozen of the sponsors for wholesale pricing and I have no complaints at all about service, pricing and customer service. All are top notch and you cannot go wrong with sending your business to any of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster