I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork tiles question/s
Posted by: Mike Rademacher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 10:55PM

has anyone used cork flooring tiles to make grips? they all look to be composites cork in several varied patterns and colors and just wondering it they are up to the task and is any special treatment required?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork tiles question/s
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 11:00PM

I have been wondering the same thing Mike. It sure seems like you could use them. I have been meaning to get some to give it a shot

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 11:36PM

There are earlier posts in the last year or a bit more of people using many forms of cork from tiles, to poster board material, to cork yoga mats. Cork gasket material is very durable and comes in different thicknesses, textures and colors.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 11:37PM

I remember using them being discussed here in the past. Might be able to word a search in the right manner and find something on them.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 03, 2009 11:57PM

I've used just about all that has been mentioned including vynal floor tiles. I cut rings with a 1 1/2 inch hole saw

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.190.---)
Date: August 04, 2009 12:20AM

They work very well, giving a slightly heavier, but very durable handle. With a couple coats of Tru-Oil, they look awesome too. I cut mine with a hole saw, from 4mm bulletin board cork. If using floor tiling, be sure to get the untreated tiles (no adhesive). Cork gasket, which is rubberized cork, makes beautiful dark accent rings. Combinations of all the above with either burl or regular cork can be done to give some stunning handles. Throw in custom cut pieces using the cork slicing jigs, the possibilities are sweet. Lots of examples on the Photo Pages.

The rings glue up well using the same adhesives as normally used. Many use Titebond III, RodBond or Ultimate Gel Adhesive with good results.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2009 08:16AM

Yes, you can use them. In fact this is where most of the so called exotic cork sold as rings originates. There is one problem with the bona fide cork tiles, however - most have a hard urethane coating on one side to make them suitable for use on floors without wearing terribly. Unless you sand this off, and it's quite a job to do it, you will have very noticeable thick lines between each ring. For that reason you might be better offer sticking to the exotic rings which have been specially ordered and delivered prior to having the surface coating applied. If your time is worth anything, you may find that having to remove the hard surface coating just isn't worth the hassle.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: August 04, 2009 09:14AM

Those would be the pre-finished tiles Tom. You can buy them raw, raw primed with adhesive, finished one side/raw one side, finished and primed with adhesive. Raw suits rodbuilding best. I use the bulletin board cork because it is most commonly used raw. It is only lightly glued to the boards to make it easier to replace when worn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster