I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer
Posted by: Will Graham (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 02, 2009 10:20PM

I'm in the process of getting everything together for my first rod, and I am trying to decide what to do for a rod dryer. I only spent say a $120 on blank and components seeing as it's my first rod. I would rather not chuck out 80 bucks for a rod dryer without seeing how everything works. I think I can make the supports easy enough, but I am not sure what kind of motor to get. Should I go AC or DC? 5rpm or 50rpm? This is one I was talking about with my dad.

[www.allelectronics.com]

and this is the one of the ones they have at mudhole

[www.mudhole.com]

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer
Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.dsl.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2009 10:24PM

Will, Your email is hidden. I can send you some info if you give me your email.

Date: August 02, 2009 10:45PM

Thanks...it's unhidden now. I didn't realize I had done that. Whatever info you have would be great.

Posted by: roger wilson (208.47.131.---)
Date: August 03, 2009 01:00AM

will,
A simple thing to do is you have an inexpensive cordless screwdriver, it will work just fine.
Basically, the best drying speeds seem to be around 5-10 rpm.
You can check out some of the surplus sites, or if you have a surplus store in your locality; you can often find motors with a speed of less than 10 rpm for a dollar or so.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2009 08:46AM

In over 30 years of building custom rods, I've never employed a dryer of any kind on any custom rod I've ever built.

They can be nice, but are not absolutely necessary. So don't worry too much about it at this point. It's not something you must have to get that first rod done.

Date: August 03, 2009 11:16AM

Tom...I'm assuming you turn them by hand to keep the epoxy from bunching on the bottom. How long do you turn it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2009 11:19AM

I turn it only whenever it needs to be turned - you judge this by watching the bottom of the wraps and when it appears to be getting just a tad heavy, spin the rod 180 degrees. Always keeping the guides straight up, or straight down.

You stop doing this once the finish appears to be set. When the finish no longer moves, you're done. You can tip the mix cup on its side after an hour and a half and if it doesn't sag or move, neither will the finish on the rod. Just don't stop doing this too soon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 11:42AM

Tom
I keep the guides left and right just to keep the finish from running down the up right and onto the ring when straight down. If left to long.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (69.158.47.---)
Date: August 03, 2009 05:50PM

Will,

I just built my first couple of rods this year. I used permagloss because of the benefits of it being lighter, hard, I like the way it looks and because I only needed to spin it for like 5 min. I had my wife help me spin it while I cleaned my brush and container I used for the permagloss and by the time I was done (2.5 min) I only needed to turn for another 3 min and the permagloss had set enough to be left. Just a thought if you wanted to avoid a rod dryer or having to turn it by hand for an hour or two. Best of luck.

Patrick Rutledge

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: August 03, 2009 08:45PM

Will:

I turned by hand for years before getting a dryer. I would run the epoxy on one section, and turn it in my hands while watching for sags, thin spots, and bubbles. once things started to set up, I set a kitchen timer for 5 min., placed this section on rod supports, and worked on the next section. When the timer went off, I would turn the first section 180 degrees (guides up or down), and continue the process until I had the whole rod coated with epoxy. I would then extend the time to 10 or 15 minutes between turning it 180 degrees. I am sure this was overkill, but it did let me see problems as they came up, and I learned different ways of fixing some of the problems. I am self taught, and until I found this forum, I really didn't have a place to learn other techniques. I am sure that for your first couple of rods, you will learn a lot about this finish by hand turning the rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster