I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank as a spinning rod
Posted by: Ron Johnson (---.gfnet.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:18PM

I'm looking for some recommendations for a 8 or 8 1/2' blank to throw 1/16-1/32 oz jigs. Will a 3 or 4 wt fly blank work?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank as a spinning rod
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sub-75-216-63.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 03:41PM

I've done several 3 weights for a Texas redfish fisherman. Built them all on Batson's Rainshadow RX7's IF-903. These are built as baitcasters, but the guy loves them. . He's caught some decent size fish on em' as well.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (12.54.128.---)
Date: July 29, 2009 05:54PM

Ron, you may also want to consider a salmon/steelhead blank. They may have a little more backbone than a fly blank. Just a thought.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 08:06PM

I agree with Greg on this one , the Salmon/Steelhead blank would be my choice for the reason he stated. Fly blanks are quite limber for my use and I throw a lot of small jigs for Crappie.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mo Yang (70.99.98.---)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:26AM

I'm not an expert on this but I believe that the longer your rod is, the higher the weight you may want to go up. At 7 to 7 1/2 feet, 4 wt is great. So 8 1/2 feet may have a high CCS 4 wt or low CCS 5wt? Just a suggestion - not a solid prescription.

Mo

Posted by: Mo Yang (70.99.98.---)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:28AM

I'm not an expert on this but I believe that the longer your rod is, the higher the weight you may want to go up. At 7 to 7 1/2 feet, 4 wt is great. So 8 1/2 feet may have a high CCS 4 wt or low CCS 5wt? Just a suggestion - not a solid prescription.

Mo

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-70-195-80.myvzw.com)
Date: July 30, 2009 04:26AM

Ron, a 3-4 wt will work nicely with those jigs in terms of casting. Regarding species/size of fish, hooksetting, and general working of a lure the 3 wt has some limitations. I love my 9' 3 wt spinning rod, but the next will be a 5 wt for broader apllications and that's my suggestion for a starter.

Down at the 3 wt range it's a great panfish rod and if that's the intent, go for it. If you may be fishing in current and encountering species that'll go a few pounds or trying to set a tex-tucked plastic in the lip, bump it up to a 5 wt.

Even the longer 8 wt flyrod blanks will throw light lures well, it's the other aspects that beg for consideration. Whatever the choice, it'll be a fun rod! This I know.

Date: July 30, 2009 07:09AM

Thanks for the advice guys. My intentions are for this to be a pan fish rod, so I may give the 3 wt a try.

For those of you that have built one of these, did you find anything special about guide spacing?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 01:20PM

Guide spacing doesn't change, general rules apply to all blanks.

Posted by: ed barron (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 03:25PM

check out bthe sevier tiger eyes they have a 8' or 8' 6" spin cast blank that sounds to be what your looking for iam building one right now and there a great price to

Ed Barron

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2009 03:33PM

In general, fly rods, salmon-steelhead rods and general purpose spinning rods are constructed with less power in their lower half than casting and spinning blanks used for bass and saltwater fishing. A light fly rod blank will certainly do what you want to do but it will not have the amount of reserve power in the butt that the more modern "mag" taper rods do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 08:44PM

If you are looking for a panfish rod, stay away from the steelhead/salmon rod blanks. They are way too heavy. I haven't gone as long as 8 or 8 1/2, but I built a spinning rod off a 7 1/2 foot 3 weight fly blank, and it is awesome. It has become my go to rod when the fishing gets slow and I have to go small. I've caught bass to 19 and walleye to 22, and it works. You just have to be patient. For casting light lures it loads beautifully, is very comfortable, and casts the light stuff so much more comfortably and longer than a normal spinning rod. The 3 weight fly blank builds into a great ultra light panfish rod. I used an AMF 763, if I remember correctly. If you want to see a pic of the handle setup, let me know. It's not conventional. Don't get caught in the conventional thinking that you need a regular foregrip, a regular butt grip, etc. Minimize with the right design and it can be a memorable rod.

Date: August 13, 2009 08:06AM

Thanks, I'd love to see it. I had some ideas, but always like to see what others are doing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster