I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chuck for Jet JWL 1236 lathe - recommendations?
Posted by: Jack Brady (---.cmngga.adelphia.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 09:48AM

I have just purchased a Jet JWL 1236 lathe for turning cork grips and eventually custom reel seats. Will be turning cork on steel mandrels, 1/4" generally. Lathe has a live center in the tailstock but does not come with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck - must purchase as an accessory. Lathe takes a 1" x 8tpi chuck.

Would appreciate any suggestions for the type of chuck I should purchase for the above applications - 3 or 4 jaw? Other type? . A discount source for same would also be helpful.

I know this lathe is overkill for the above applications, but it will give me the liberty to do other projects that interest me in the future.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chuck for Jet JWL 1236 lathe - recommendations?
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:08AM

Jack,
There are a ton of good chucks out there. If all you see yourself doing is rodbuilding stuff. Take a look at at the Penn State Industries chck part# C4J4. I have two of these and they work great for cork grips and reel seats.
If however you see yourself getting into more heavy woodturning like bowls etc...The Oneway Talon and the Supernova chuck by Teknatool are both good chucks for a reasonable price. There are other chucks out there by Axminister and Vicmarc, but they are way overkill for our rodbuilding endeavors and are quite expensive.
If you need any more advice, please feel free to call or email me!

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
lamarreelseats.com

Posted by: Steve Carter (---.gulp.org)
Date: December 06, 2002 10:29AM

[www.toolcenter.com]

I have the universal 3-jaw chuck and the jacobs chuck and taper. The 3-jaw fits the 1" x 8tpi in my Delta Midi Lathe. I don't have a lot of experience with lathe accessories but these work for me when I need to turn cork and the minimal wood turning that I do. In my inexperience and philosophy of more is better, I ordered the 4-jaw chuck. The jaws are independantly adjusted so they are not self centering and not the best for holding a mandrel, but the 3-jaw works great.

-Steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 06, 2002 04:02PM

Just for your consideration, and if you're willing to spend the money on another very nice toy, the OneWay Talon chuck. Great chuck. But yes, it costs quite a bit compared to the Penn State model, which really isn't a bad chuck at all for rod building purposes.

Posted by: Mike Kawzenuk (---.ustug.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 05:27PM

Hi Jack:
I just purchased a Penn State C4J4 for my Grizzly that I received a week or so ago. I'll let you know how it works out. The referral from Andy Dear, which is about the third good one I've received on this chuck makes me feel much better about that purchase.

Posted by: Jack Brady (---.cmngga.adelphia.net)
Date: December 09, 2002 07:27AM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Looking forward to extending my rod building to include making my own handles and reel seats!

Jack

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster