I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uplocking or downlocking?
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 25, 2009 08:16AM

Many years ago, I learned the basics of the rod building craft from an old gentleman in Connecticut. All his builds were on Lami or Fenwick honey glass blanks. They have certainly stood the test of time: I am still using rods be built for me in 1972.
The boat rods he built for me used chrome over brass reel seats, and they were installed with the locking nuts against the rear grip. Recently, I was speaking with a commercial builder here in Florida who said the nuts should be against the fore grip (downlocking), because it helps counter the torque a big fish puts on the rod/reel connection.
I have looked through the archives and haven't found any discussion on the subject. Thoughts anyone?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 08:17AM by Gary Henderson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uplocking or downlocking?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2009 08:56AM

It doesn't matter. Torque is rotational force. To counter that you'd have to employ a spiral wrap.

Generally if you're running a forward clamp you'd have the nuts to the front so the clamp can ride on the threaded section just forward. Otherwise you have to install a tuna block between the seat and foregrip.

The stability of the reel in the seat isn't going to be changed by putting the nuts on one end or the other.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2009 09:08AM

Definitely a "chicken and egg" type of question. IMO, to each their own ... whatever looks/works best for you, that's the right answer.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2009 04:55PM

Spinning rods I place the threaded tube up for a more comfortable grip (no threads)

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.186.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 25, 2009 06:37PM

I prefer an uplocking spinning reel seat. It lets me get away with a shorter rear grip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 12:42AM

Gary,
About the only thing that I might add is about the construction of the reel seat. If you have a reel seat that uses a nylon or plastic molded slot on one end or the other to hold down your reel, and the other end has a metal ring with the nut, then - on a very heavy reel, it might be a better idea to have the nut at the top - rather than the bottom of the guide.

Of course, you can get into a question as to whether - when you get a big fish on the end of your rod - do you have more force on the front reel hold down or the back reel hold down.

On the front hold down, you have a force pushing straight up the rod. On the back reel seat attachment, you have a force that is essentially at 90 degrees to the rod; attempting to rotate the reel up and off the rod.

One could do some testing, to see if the parallel or the outward force is greater - or if there is any difference at all.

At the end of the day - with any of the modern reel seats - it shouldn't make any difference, because any of the seats will be strong enough to hold the reel in place. It is mainly up to you as the builder and or the client with respect to his wishes.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 03:10PM

On any seat when you hold it cast or spin, the fat part or chopping part of your hand usually rests on the threads - up-locking. not very comfortable. Depending on how you hold and use the rod.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster