I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Composite Controversy
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 09:09AM

I have no clue if this applies to fishing rods or not - maybe someone has the ability to think it through to determine if it has any application to graphite/composite fishing rods or not. Maybe one of the composite engineers who read this board would comment.

The NCAA is investigating the composite bats used for college baseball. A newspaper release contains the following -

"There are different types of composite bats, each with varying amounts of graphite, figerglass and resilient plastic. Bats with composite handles and transitions between the handle and barrel are under scrutiny. The beef is with the barrel, which softens overtime creating a trampoline effect - this does not happen with freshly manufactured bats - it is what happens later, after repeated use or after the bat is put through a process knows as "rolling". Bats that are conditioned by the manufacturers "rolling process" have more pop and often viollate the NCAA limitations on the allowable exit speed at which the ball comes off the bat.

There are several things that come to mind when I read this:

1. Would this "rolling" tend to soften existing tip sections to reduce failure rate?

2. Are CC numbers consistant considering aging of the blank?

3. If the rolling process could be defined would it alter the CC profile?

4. Is thre proof that the properties of grapite change with age and does it apply to the composite tubes rod builders use?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 09:49AM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Composite Controversy
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 09:14AM

That's why they should use wood.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2009 10:13AM

All materials have a "fatigue life" and over time and use will fatigue. This results in a loss of power or stiffness. Modern graphite rods have a fatigue life that is thousands of times greater than older glass rods and will withstand tens of thousands of stress cycles without any noticeable loss of properties. It is doubtful that anyone is ever going to wear out a graphite fishing rod through normal use alone. However, certain types of use, including stress beyond the normal design limits along with extreme environmental factors, can accelerate the fatigue process.

If you want to test this for yourself, take the ERN and CCF measurements on a new rod and then take them again 5 years down the road and compare the two. Power and frequency will be the properties most affected.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 11:01AM

A few years ago we had a local Trout fishing guide who stayed very busy.
He was on the water somewhere over 200 days per year, in all seasons.
He would make over a hundred casts per outing.
After a few years he mentioned that one of the 7' Lt action graphite rods we built for him seemed to have lost it's "snap" when casting.
He said that happens often to him, quicker on lower end rods that he has used over the years.
It otherwise appeared to work fine.
Seems like that may indeed be something notable to someone who is finely tuned to a particular rod and uses it very often,
and then probably stores it in a hot vehicle between uses.
Just wonder if it could have something to do with the amount and type of scrim?

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: July 24, 2009 12:12PM

Tom you missed the point -

Is there some process, i.e. rolling, that could possibly introduce desired properties in a fishing rod blank.

For instance, if a tip section was high modulus could it be "rolled" to introduce a softer more durable light weight section.

If someone has figured out a way to improve a hollow composite tubular shaft instaneously instead of waiting five years I would be interested in learning new tricks.

Date: July 24, 2009 01:00PM

No. The more fatigue introduced the less durable it's going to be.

If you want a more durable rod, you'll have to switch to different fibers or a different structure.

Date: July 24, 2009 01:22PM

Hopefully one of the blank designers will check this out - interesting reading to say the least.

If it applies in any way it is something that an inquisitive person would check out.

[www.worldshottestbats.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 01:23PM

So Tom would you be saying that a IM 6 blank will not last as long as a IM8, because of materials used.
I just am about to order a blank for a guy in a Lami. Price was right and have not asked but am figuring it to be IM 6. Guy had a Loomis for about 15 years that finally broke on his son

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 24, 2009 02:18PM

I will be prepared when one of the "marketers" claims that "rolling" his rods during the thread wrapping process activates the hidden powers of the cutting edge fibers used in his blanks.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 02:56PM

Bill,
That sounds like a Carrot Stick commercial.

Date: July 24, 2009 04:13PM

Bill Boettcher,

No, I would not say that.

Most likely there is some defined standard for surface hardness and/or rebound required in order for a baseball bat to pass muster (continued use of wood bats in the major leagues have spared most ballparks from becoming obsolete in the way that say, golf courses have become). By managing to soften the surface of the composite bat through fatigue or overstress, the compression of the bat may change to allow for longer hits with less effort. Something to that effect.

But I don't see this as having any practical ramifications in the world of graphite fishing rods. Assuming you're staying within the elastic limits of the rod, it's not going to change noticeably for many, many years and much hard use. And if you could fatigue it, you wouldn't have a better performing nor more durable rod. You'd have something that would no longer be nearly as much fun to fish with.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2009 04:15PM

I think that is called -- Marketing ??? I have other names for it but can not say here !!

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 24, 2009 07:55PM

MJ this is in your honor - Friday Funnies!

I have read all I can on shaving and rolling tubular graphite shafts!

I am headed to Bass Pro to set up and roll the new rods when they come out the door -

I only plan on charging $ 50 each so I should do quite well if I use my horizontal Surburban to temper the coefficient of restitution!

Some on this board may say I am working too cheap -

I will enjoy the evening -

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster