I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Carriage for RW3-XL -Madeira Thread
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: July 10, 2009 09:57PM

I have purchased a RW3-XL wraping/finishing lathe. It was what is called an improved thread carriage. I have no problem with the carriage using Hobby size spool of thread but can just barely use a spool of Madeira thread. I can get one washer and a wing nut, but no spring to adjust tension.

I thought I had seen another carriage out on the market that might solve this problem. Does anybody know what I think I have seen? With Madeira gaining in use by rodbuilders and hobby builders you would think Pacific Bay would have covered this condition?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Carriage for RW3-XL -Madeira Thread
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 11:36PM

Spool it down on a normal size spool and you won't have a problem.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 07:17AM

Mark,
I don't have one in front of me. However, by looking at pictures of the thread carriage, it appears that it is simply composed of a horizontal base, a vertical thread support and a horizontal threaded rod that is threaded into the vertical thread support.
Since it has to handle the smaller spools of thread, I suppose that the threaded rod is something like 1/8th or 3/16th threaded rod.

Check to see how the rod is installed in the vertical support. Is it anything more than simply threaded into the support, and then when centered, the threading is stopped.

If so, take off the spacers, nuts, springs and washers.
Unscrew the threaded rod out of the vertical spacer.
Take the threaded rod and go to your local neighborhood hardware store.
Pick up a 12 inch piece of threaded rod that is the same size as the threaded rod that you removed from the thread carriage.
Go home, check all of your dimensions, spacers, springs, washers, nuts and vertical support.
Once you have determined the required length to get your accessories on the threaded rod with your largest spool, cut the threaded rod to length and round off the corners of the cut end.
Thread the rod into the vertical support so that the rod is centered.
Enjoy your new lathe.

By the way - it would also be a good idea to drop an e-mail to Pac Bay - outlining your problem, so that perhaps they could change the production length of the threaded rod.

Take care

Roger

Date: July 11, 2009 11:07AM

thank both of you for the commnets. I dropped them an email.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.piscataway-02rh16rt-03rh15rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 11:24AM

I like Rogers idea if you plan on using just large spools. But Billies idea is easier. On the carriage you may have to take off the upright and put a higher one to fit the larger spools. If you want to play. Screw a piece of wood from underneath with a little rod bond added. Spray it black to match. I have 4 small spools on my home made lath-dryer-wrapper.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 12:51PM

If your like me and have thread on most of the smaller spools you buy small wooden spools at Walmart in the crafts section to wind thread on.

Date: July 11, 2009 02:34PM

Kirk
How do you do what without getting twist in the thread?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2009 04:29PM

Put the small spool on a scrap blank in teh lathe, hold teh spool in your hand and let it spin as you press teh foot pedal. I could care less abotu twist, I never worried about it, and never had a problem do to it I do not use Madeira for overwraps, as it's too stretchy and requires CP.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2009 05:06PM

If you turn the thread carriage upside down, you will be able to "unscrew" a set screw that holds the threaded rod in place. then do exactly what Roger says.

I ground a new indent in my new rod so the set screw will have something else to "set" into.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster