I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiger wrap
Posted by: Mike Vereckey (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2009 11:11PM

Good Day/Night....

I am doing my first tiger wrap..... one question so far...

After my base wrap, do i put on a CP? If i burnish after the CP will it create more effects?? or just burnish before the CP??

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiger wrap
Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 06:10AM

Hi Jose,
I did couple tiger wraps and I am using CP on base wrap and I burnish it before CP and I thing it looks pretty good.
I hope this will help.

Jerry

PS: go to search and look for tiger wrap( all dates) you will find a lot of reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 06:23AM by Jerry Hirsch.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2009 07:45AM

Burnish and disturb the base wrap prior to putting on the CP.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 09:11AM

What Tom said.
And don't forget to wrap the top threads in the opposite direction.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 09:42AM

If you put the CP on first, it will make it darn near impossible to burnish the threads in such a way that they move around a little. The CP will lock them in place and you need them to move and bend in order for the effect to be created.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 11:16AM

Only if you allow the CP to dry before you burnish. When thread becomes wet the tension relaxes. Never thought about it until now but one might
get more movement burnishing wet thread instead of dry.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.126.10.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 11:29AM

Would it help the effect to clear the base wrap, then put on the top threads. Would it add to the effect ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 07, 2009 11:36AM

Bill,
What do you mean by "clear the base wrap"? Apply a coat of finish?

Raymond Adams

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 11:54AM

If you mean applying a coat of finish, I most definitely would. It can be done without it (I didn't follow directions on my irst one) but it is rather difficult and doesn't give the effect any depth and just looks wrong compared to how they ar supposed to look.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.126.10.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 11:54AM

Ya Raymond. I figured it may add some distance between the two layers of thread and maybe add to the effect. Plus give a base for the top threads

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 11:56AM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 07, 2009 12:00PM

yes, that's the idea and 2 coats are better than one

Raymond Adams

Date: July 07, 2009 01:38PM

Raymond,

That's not a bad idea at all, in fact it's a pretty darn good idea. You'd just have to make sure you do it while the threads are still very wet. It's worth some experimentation.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 01:46PM

I was thinking of maybe two coats of CP to hold the color of the base threads, let dry then one or two coats of clear, What do you mean while wet. Why not let the clear dry at least over night then top threads ??
Would it not give the top a - floating look. Like a decal.

Thinking about it sounds like a lot of material ?? Weight ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 01:51PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: July 07, 2009 02:03PM

Jose and Bill,
In the library there is a complete explanation of the wrap that makes it very clear. I think the only additonal thing being stated here is that Tom and Raymond suggest the use of cp over the bottom layer to aid in disrupting the 'even' layout of the two (or three) thread colors while the cp is still wet.
I actually tried this and I ended up with a mess. I used NCP and I think it swells more than nylon when CP is applied. I laid down the bottom layer kind of loose so it would be easy to move around. When CP is added the thread gets even looser. In my case, it was too loose and it turned into a mess. I bet if you find that you applied the bottom layer with too much tension and it is hard to move around, it would be worth a try to apply some CP and see if that loosens the thread up a little so it will move.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 09:44PM

Would wetting include distilled water if you did not want to use CP? I imagine it would.

Les

Date: July 07, 2009 09:50PM

I would think so too.

Raymond Adams

Date: July 08, 2009 08:33AM

Steven,

Thanks for chiming in with that information.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 09:51AM

The article states clear over the base wrap,but no CP. I guess ya want the transparent look of any nylon used, or with nylon should CP be used to keep the color. Don't like NCP thread.

OK I am not trying to be a you know what buster, but Guessing that with and without CP on the base will give different results. BUT on the Holographic wrap why on the base would I use NCP thread and regular nylon, and then use CP ? If I was to use CP any way, why not just use regular nylon for both threads
I see why the NCP thread, but I always thought regular nylon with CP looked nicer ??

Hay I still ask - whys the sky blue

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 10:47AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: July 08, 2009 02:10PM

I use black and white or black and yellow for my base colors. All the black thread that I have is nylon and I use NCP for the white and yellow in hopes of maintaining the color for as much of a contrast as possible........this gives a more dramatic effect. I use the CP hoping that it helps maintain the contrast (not sure if helps or not, just sticking with what has worked for me). With the bottom wrap, the most important things are color contrast and a disrupted, or 'wavy', pattern. I now know how much tension that I need in order to still be able to move things around without wetting the thread. If I find that a section is hard to move, a couple drops of alchohol helps the thread move around.

My latest project is a Rasta rod for a buddy. It has red, yellow, green bands on the guide wraps. I wanted a subtle look for a tiger wrap so I put three threads down together- red yellow and green. Burnished thoroughly, applied epoxy, then used black with TWO sacrificial threads on top. The result was awesome..... Because of the three bright colors, the black on top toned it down but still allows the colors to be seen and provides an intense miore effect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster