I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiptop slightly to small, newb ?
Posted by: chris starr (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 05:29PM

doing my first surf rod. tip top I ordered is probably 1 size to small. Can I sand or file tip blank down to fit tip.

would like to have this rod done in 2 weeks for a surf trip I have planned, and don't want to have to order a new one and wait for new shipment. I set my guides using the static guide placement method, which I think, for surf rods will be even more critical than the fly rod, and baitcaster I've built so far.

any advice before I take a small file & sand paper to tip of blank. won't take much can get tip of blank just less than a mm into tip (after trying to stretching tiptop with bodkin)...

help. wanted to get a jump on this rod over long weekend.

info:
10' Seeker blank,
tip BPOT-10-6.0 1 Fuji Al. Oxide All Purp. Top - Black

Blank tip seems to be a 6.0 at smallest point. doesn't slide on.

thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiptop slightly to small, newb ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2009 05:36PM

No, don't reduce the blank tip - there is little margin for error there and you'll wind up with walls that are too thin to do what needs to be done. You can safely remove the paint, but you won't want to get into the fibers there.

Order a new tiptop.

Date: July 02, 2009 05:39PM

doh, same thing with a fly tip top I just tried. ah well live and learn. order a size larger than I thought. newb problems suck.

Date: July 02, 2009 05:52PM

side note: fuji plate style rod seat is hot! taped to blank and i like it already!!!!

Date: July 02, 2009 05:58PM

so.... if i did sand file down the first 1/4 inch or less rod blank would be compromised? even though its under metal sheath? devils advocate question haven't done it yet... file in hand (lol... just kidding).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2009 06:54PM

At some point, you're going to have to sand down past that point to get it to fully seat. If it were me, I'd either get the right sized top or wrap a double foot guide on for a tiptop as we showed in a recent issue of RodMaker, ala Ken Preston. One leg gets folded under and the guide functions nicely as a tiptop and will fit any rod blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 07:12PM

Chris,
I assume that this is a tubular blank. i.e. the blank is hollow all of the way from the butt to the tip of the rod.

Assuming that this is true, it is NOT a good idea to try to thin the tip. If you do, you are sanding away tip strength.

On the other hand, if the blank were a solid blank - or a solid tip, then there is more inherent strength all of the way through the tip. Although still not a good idea, it would be more possible to thin out a solid tip than a hollow tip.

If you need the rod done right away, just tie on a sigle foot guide.

If this is your rod, you can always come back later, cut off the guide and put on the right tip.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 11:24PM

When ordering tops it is always a good idea to have the suppler fit one on to make sure it fits. Or order two, one the size called for and one larger to make sure you have one that fits.
Tube size that is.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: July 03, 2009 12:15AM

- - - - - to put on ANY top, I allow "space" for glue; that is ; a loose fit
seems to be what is "practical; and NO sanding; might weaken the walls. . . . . .

jocko

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 06:43AM

Since tip tops are so cheap compared to everything else on the rod I always order at least two. I also gently scrape off the finish (only) at the tip for better glue adhesion. Since the area is fully encased in a metal tube I'm not at all concerned about diminishing rod strength.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster