I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

differnce between spinning and casting blanks
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:16AM

Im just wondering if there is any difference between a blank labeled spinning to a blank labeled casting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: differnce between spinning and casting blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:53AM

Insofar as how they are made, no difference.

Some blanks are often listed in both categories.

Sometimes a company will specifically design a blank to be used for a particular application, such as casting, but you can use it either way if the specs fill the bill for what you need. A rod blank is a rod blank. It's just a tapered, tubular shaft.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 12:08PM

As Tom suggests, a blank is a blank. There are many different builders, that frequent this forum, that have built the same blank into casting and spinning. Also Fly into spinning. The blank doesn't know what it's for until you build it.

Bill in WV

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 12:24PM

Jason,
For marketing purposes, and to make shopping easier for the consumer, most manufacturers separate their blanks by saying casting or spinning.

In fact, many of the blanks in each category are the same blank.

Other manufacturers do have different blanks in their different sections.

Generally speaking - all other facts being the same- the general rule of thumb is that for the same application, the casting blank will be stiffer.

This is particularly true of certain manufacturers.

However, other manufacturers sell the identical blank - with two different labels - one called casting, and one called spinning.

With respect to the rod builder - the particular label on the blank is not important as far as they type handle and guides one puts on the blank. One can put a spinning handle and guides on any blank.
The same is true for a casting rod handle and guides.

It is up to the rod builder to help the client select the blank - irrespective of the label - to meet the clients fishing needs.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 06:21PM

Roger touched on the one distinction some manufacturers make and that's power difference. I don't use them often, but I've measured the same St. Croix blank in casting and spinning and the casting was about 30% more powerful.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.36.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:11PM

From my experience, I've found that some blanks labeled as a casting series have a little stiffer tip when compared to the same action and power in a spinning blank. If that makes sense.
But I prefer a casting blank for my spinning rods. They seem to work a top water plug and flutter jig better.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:26PM

It isn't "the same action" or "the same power" or "the same rating" ... simply because blanks are compared ONLY to their own peers within the same manufacturer.

What G Loomis rates as a 6-12# spinning blank isn't the same as a St Croix 6-12# spinning blank.

BTW, part of the confusion in the thought process that "casting blanks are stiffer" or "casting blanks are more powerful" is that manufacturers play with the classifications of an identical blank. Put blank ABC123 into a freshwater spinning category and it is 10-20#, put it into a freshwater casting category and it is 10-17#, repaint the rascal and class it as inshore spinning ... now it is 8-17#. And guess what, the same blank is behind each curtain. Many times the ONLY difference between $90 and $130 is a paint job and a tag.

The ONLY way to really understand what is going on is to bend the blanks. Either buy them OR come to the Expo. Both are going to cost you money ... but the latter is more exciting and a better entertainment value.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:52PM

Many blanks, like the popping and steelhead/salmon blanks for instance, are identical blanks with different hardware attached.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 04:06PM

WELL SAID JIM!!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.an4.den10.da.uu.net)
Date: July 04, 2009 09:22AM

Why guess? Use the URRS and all your questions can be answered.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 04, 2009 11:08AM

Casting and spinning blanks are listed in different categories, at present by manufacturers, in an attempt to be helpful to those who do not know what rod or blank should by used under different circumstances. It increases sales to attempt to be responsive to customer needs. Evidently by the number of times this question is asked on this Internet Fourm there may be just as many who do not know what blank to use than do.

Until the URSS system is utilized those who build blanks and rods in order to demonstrate the true value of the system, to the fishermen who use the rods, all will be under the subjective control of the best marketing departments.

One reason for the multiple listing of blanks in casting and spinning listings is the "instantaneous" wrist snap for lure release of a spinning rod is quite different than the more controlled arm release of a long throw casting rod - the manufacturers of the blanks and rods are able to suggest to the novice which blank taper is more appropriate for the particular use.

For the URSS to be adopted and accepted will require EDUCATION and NEED for this information by people who buy rods. If this is not done for the entire industry the URRS will have no more value to purchasers of rods than colorful thread work. Using the ratings of UL, L, M, MH, H and XH, I think this subject should receive an XXXXH priority rating. If and when the URSS is recognized by a manufacturer as a valuable tool to increase market share things could change quite quickly. At prsent this system also carries the stigma of being another "the world is flat" concept advocated by very few and is not used by anyone in the business of selling production fishing rods.

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 04, 2009 12:02PM

Bill,

What is the URSS? I tried google but couldn't find anything relating to rod building. It is however an alternative spelling for the USSR :)

I'm confused by the statement:

> One reason for the multiple listing of blanks in
> casting and spinning listings is the
> "instantaneous" wrist snap for lure release of a
> spinning rod is quite different than the more
> controlled arm release of a long throw casting rod
> - the manufacturers of the blanks and rods are
> able to suggest to the novice which blank taper is
> more appropriate for the particular use.

It seems to conflict with the idea that you can use any blank for any type of rod. Does this mean I shouldn't use a 'casting' blank for a spinning rod? If it is a matter of using the right blank taper how do I know what that is? Thanks for the help.

Patrick Rutledge

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 04, 2009 12:04PM

Just saw the thread on URSS. Thanks

Patrick Rutledge

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2009 06:36PM

Other than where you hang the reel, there is no difference. A "casting" blank is required to perform the same task as a "spinning" blank. The blank flexes and stores energy, then unflexes and releases energy. That's all it does. They're all just tapered, tubular shafts. As far as the blank is concerned, there is no such thing as "casting" or "spinning."

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2009 10:22AM

For a general rating, such as "medium," a blank designated casting will be a little bit more powerful than a blank listed "spinning." I think Robert's really close: In the St. Croix line, a medium power casting blank is approximately 30% more powerful than a medium power spinning blank. But, as soon as you start looking at another manufacturer, everthing changes.

I really like using casting blanks for spinning blanks and vice versa. I'm very, very fond of St. Croix's 3C69MLXF as a spinning rod, and I think their best medium power spinnerbait blank (built as casting) is their 3S66MF.

Unfortunately, the only way to know how to cross over from spinning to casting and vice versa is to build up rods and fish them (and use this board).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster