I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sort of OT--fly lines changeable tips
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:00AM

I have always used a single wt fly line (floating). I see lines that have changeable heads or tips. How are these attached or changed. Does this area have an influence on the size of guides used so that all knots pass easily? Is a changeable tip something desirable? What are the advantages? Thanks

John
God bless the troops and USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sort of OT--fly lines changeable tips
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:05AM

most use a loop to loop connection to change the tip sections. they are similar to shooting heads. your guide size will still be determined by your line and knot system. i am sure it will depend on type of connection used and line weight

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:15AM

John,
For a loop to loop, I find that SF 06 ceramic is as small as I care to go. Chances are, your guides will have to pass the connection, while under the stress of fighting a fish. A 5 or 4 might pass the connection when you'r stringing-up, but check to be sure that things pass OK under load.
Advantages of interchangeable: gives you several different fly lines (floating, fast-sinking, slow-sinking,etc.) for a lower cost and higher convenience of only needing one reel.
George

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:22AM

Thanks George
I like to keep things simple. I guess I would prefer to have an extra line on a spool since I can see myself all tangled up changing tips. I can envision buying the line but never changing anything.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: June 17, 2009 12:57PM

John;

I use Versi-tip lines all the time. It takes all of about 2 minutes to switch from floating line to sink tip, or full sink. They are loop connections. The last 15 feet is all your changing on you base line (floating) They cost more on the initial purchase but work out far cheaper than having two or three different lines and spools.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 03:50PM

Harold
What size guides do you use? Are the loops big? I really need to go see one up close and personal.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: June 17, 2009 06:41PM

John.

I fish light rods. 9' - 2, 3 and 4wt.s most of the time. I use snake guides #2's and 3's as my runners. The lines are factory looped and sealed, so there are no uneven edges to worry about. Once in a while where the two loops join, it will hang up on the tip for a split second, but even this is rare. It happens because of the line changing direction from the tip when a fish is on and takes another run.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2009 10:06PM

John, I use these lines quite a bit for lake and pond fishing. I'm using #3 single foot TiC guides on my 5 and 6wt rods that I have set up for float tube fishing. Same as in one of the other posts, they are very quick and easy to change the tip sections. I do have one complaint on these lines. The factory loop to loop connections are a bit on the stiff side compared to the suppleness of the lines. I took mine and cut off the factory loop and made my own. I bent the line back on its self and whip finished a loop. No more spit second hang ups when fighting a fish and the fish is near the tube and it decides to make a run. They also cast just fine too.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 12:18AM

I also use the Rio Versa Tip lines extensively in many weights for 4 to 10 and have no problems with the loops passing through the guides whether they are my custom built rods or a couple of factory rods I own. There is a reason the loop to loop connections are slightly stiffer then the rest of the line...it is to prevent "hinging" at the connection.

As others have posted, changing from one tip to another is easy and quick, many times I have done it mid stream, especially when Steelheading.

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.storm.ca)
Date: June 19, 2009 03:17PM

I agree with Bill about the stiffness of some of the connections on the multi-tip lines. I also made my own loops for my own line. I also have a Cortland multi-tip that has softer loops than the other line and casts quite well. You can also be up to your waist in a river and drop the spool accidentaly. Instead changing a tip takes less time and is much easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster