I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro wave motor for drying?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:57AM

OK so I couldn't resist the chance to pirate the mototr from the broken microwave since I heard they can be used for dryers. However, looking at the motor specs it says
"AC 21V 3.0W. Now I'm not a electrical genius but I'm guessing that if I plug this into a 120 outlet I'll either fry it or it will spin like the devil.
Is this really ok to wire up for a dryer or did I just waste some time getting this thing out.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro wave motor for drying?
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 12:28PM

I'm using one. I'd have to look again but I'm pretty sure it is just a 110v AC motor. It turns 3 or 4 rpm.

Posted by: Joe Hall (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:53PM

if the motor says 21 Volts and 3 watts you'll need to ether use the electric control panel out of the micro wave or find a used printer power supply of the same volts and watts, a little less or more watts is OK, off the top of my head HP was the only printer mfg. that made a 21 volt PS.
If you hook it up to 120 volts it will burn spark and stink up the house or shop!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:55PM

Gary,
If you want to use this motor, pick up a door bell or furnace transfomer.
They are both 24 volt ac transformers, and it will work fine for your motor.
The ac transformers simply use a dual coil to transform the 110 volt input ac voltage to 20 volts ac output voltage.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.2.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 09:36PM

What Roger said.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 10:32PM

Mine is a 3 RPM, 120 VAC, 3 watt. After doing a Google search it looks like the AC 21V 3.0W is a common microwave motor - I didn't know that. Roger gave you the right answer.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.warpspeed1.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 10:43PM

About 20 years ago I dismantled an old copy machine to see how it works. Inside was 4 little motors that turned real slow. I made rod drying motors out of them and I am still using them today. It just goes to show you that if you keep your eyes open and have a twisted mind you can find stuff you can use in the strangest places.
Pat

Date: June 18, 2009 12:08AM

Chuck,
Here is a site which sells microwave parts:

[microwaveglasstrays.com]

Note that they sell several different voltage and rpm motors.
The common voltage motors that they sell are 120 volt ac motors and 21 volt ac motors.

As I said in the previous post, one may use a 24 volt ac transformer to change the incoming 120v ac voltage to 24 volt ac voltage which will drive the 21 volt ac motors just fine with no damage.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 09:16AM

Some people have also used the little motors that turn a rotisserie on some grills.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: June 18, 2009 09:25AM

I've got a couple of BBQ motors but i thought the microwave one would be a good option. Knowing now that it will take more fiddleing to make it work I may pass and just buy one from one of the sponsors next time I place an order.
Maybe the thrill of the hunt was the best part.

Date: June 18, 2009 11:23AM

Gary,
If you are in a larger city, check out your surplus stores.
Many of these stores carry low rpm timing motors with a nice 1/4 or 5/16ths shaft with a pair of mounting tabs for 50 cents to a couple dollars each.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: eduardo barros (188.93.194.---)
Date: June 18, 2009 07:02PM

hello.
my drying motor is a rc servo. a friend of mine told me that inside it we find a piece that is responsible for it not turning all the 360 degrees. i have a drying motor that i can turn with just a 1,5v battery. the other day i bought a cheap converter an now i can put up to 12v and i can tell you it works. since i don't use it a lot i can't tell if it is a long term solution.
see you.

and it makes a bit of noise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2009 07:05PM by eduardo barros.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster