I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone Alternative
Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:18PM

So far vinegar soaking has delivered the best overall results with Abalone for me, but even then small hairline cracks are visible. Yesterday I tried something on a whim and it will be my Abalone method of choice from now on. I scanned a piece of Abalone and saved it to disc. Then I took some of the decal media from the Rodmaker article and just printed myself some Abalone.

In photoshop I can color the Abalone to whatever shade or color hue I want. Wtih the different media available, you can get various effects including one that looks close enough to the genuine article to fool most anyone who looks at it. I have printed, applied and finished Abalone on white, gold, sliver and holographic papers. The stuff on white is closest to original if that's what you're after. The holo paper has the same reflective properties as the real thing although can be a bit overwhelming in the sunlight. On gold and silver paper a certain tint to those colors takes place. All look good and none show any cracks or imperfections.

This is the quickest, easiest and best looking Abalone inlay work I have turned out so far. I don't get many calls for it and would rarely do this on a customer's rod, but if requested, this is how I'll do it from now on. It is also much lighter than using real Abalone when that is a consideration. Purists will want to continue using the genuine article, all others may want to give this a try and see how they like it. Just one more avenue to get a similar effect without the cracking or time involved in the other Abalone methods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone Alternative
Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:22PM

Absolutely briliant, Bill. That's thinking "ouside the box".

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:26PM

The quality of your printed Abalone depends mostly on the quality of your scanner and ability of your printer. What I have cooked up is almost identical to the genuine article but lacks the sparkle and glint, until a thick coat of finish is applied. With holo you have it right out of the box, but it is almost more colorful than actual Abalone.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:46PM

Great idea. I wonder how it would look printed on clear decal paper with an underwrap of metallic gold or metallic silver thread? Do any thread makers have a white thread with a metallic look, pearl perhaps. That might provide the extra vibrancy associated with the real thing.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: June 11, 2009 03:12PM

Do you mean Gudebrod metallic pearl? Which is also available in the 1/8" wide braid.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 03:27PM

Yes. Not sure about 1/8" wide but size A is what I've used in the past. As an example, the walleye on this link was done with a gold (non-metallic) size A underwrap. What ever I didn't want to show through the decal was colored black.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 07:36PM

As the old saying goes: "Seeing is believing" --- So POST SOME PICTURE FOR US!

Rena

Posted by: Leo Futrell (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:36PM

Bill, where does one obtain the white, gold, and holographic papers that you mentioned above. Great idea, the cracking .has been giving me problems big time even with trying various techniques. Thanks you your help.

Leo futrell

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:48PM

Swampland Tackle - sponsor to the left - has the print media.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 09:20PM

Just reading this to my lady, and she said, "What about doing this with snake skins? Or gator skins?"
I have been buying snake skins (python, cobra, etc) from an online @#$%& site as well as from our friends at Mudhole and using them in place of diamond wraps and in handle inlays over graphite tubing, but the skins are expensive. This could be a viable alternative. Has anyone tried it yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster