I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New tool at Backlash Tools!
Posted by: Backlash Tools (---.natwky.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 05:53PM

I'm excited to offer the new "TK" Turning Mandrels. These mandrels are patterned after the ones Tom Kirkman has made for himself for many years. The "TK" Turning Mandrels are now made here at Backlash Tools, this way I can make sure each mandrel meets my quality standards before it is shipped out. These mandrels are designed and specifically made for turning cork, EVA and wood grips. These mandrels are 14” long with a shallow shoulder cut 1” long at one end and will accept a 60 degree live center at the other end. Each mandrel is made by using hardened steel. The 1” long shallow shoulder will butt up against the chuck jaw face and prevent the mandrel from slipping through the chuck and loosening when pressure is applied from the tailstock.

Lynn Williams
Backlash Tools

Check them out! [WWW.backlashtools.Com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New tool at Backlash Tools!
Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 07:21PM

hello,
do you have a tool rest for the pac bay power wrapper?
just inquiring coz i saw one and i forgot where i saw it.

thank you.

Posted by: Backlash Tools (---.natwky.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 08:12PM

Ridge,

Thanks for your inquiry however Backlash Tools does not carry the tool rest for the Pac Bay power wrapper.

Thanks
Lynn Williams
Backlash Tools

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 10:23PM

Good idea on the shoulder. Has been a pain wrapping tape around the mandrel to act as a stop. Stop collars are expensive and mar the mandrel with the set screw. Shouldering is a clever answer. Some additional machine work. Cost?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 10:33PM

Richard click the link for the cost, very reasonable.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 10:38PM

I see, thanks. Indeed very reasonable.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 10:55PM

I have had the pleasure of testing this new and innovative design, prior to entering the market. All I can say is ... DANG, why didn't someone offer a mandrel like this before.

It is a great design ... cold rolled steel with a great polish, a shouldered end for placing in the chuck AND a 60 degree cone in the other end WITH a chamfered edge.

The polish on the steel is excellent. It offers a very clean release, with just enough "grip" to hold the work while turning.

The shouldered end is just purely wonderful. For a safety freak like myself, nothing could be better. Simply chuck and go!

The 60 degree cone is a fairly standard feature. However, the chamfered edge is not. This is a slight bevel that allows the rings to gently slide onto the mandrel - never catching the edge.

As to the pricing ... I am honestly SHOCKED. Lynn has priced these mandrels WAY WAY below their value. I can safely make that statement for a couple of reasons. 1) I have a variety of mandrels from other sources - these are better AND less expensive and; 2) I already have mine and if he does raise the price due to my comment, I am insulated from any increase.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 10:57PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2009 01:27PM

Just a bit of a disclaimer - Lynn sent me a set of these to look over for my approval and I'm happy to report that they are extremely well made. But I want to mention that I have no business arrangement with BackLash Tools nor Lynn. I've made a lot of things over the years (cork clamp, etc.) that have been duplicated by others and I'm happy to offer advice when asked. But I do not have any financial stake in these mandrels nor get any cut from any sales of them. I do not compete for blank, component or tool sales with any of my sponsors or advertisers either by selling products direct or through other dealers. I'm happy that Lynn named them after me, but beyond that this is his puppy entirely.

Posted by: Frank Willis (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 12:29PM

Is the Backlash guide alignment tool on the market yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster