I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choker and 27x rule
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 02:01PM

General question - does the 27x rule become less significant as line weight goes down? In other words, will the location of the first guide and the choker (being related to one another in NGC) not matter as much if you are using a limp 4lb mono or 4-6lb braid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choker and 27x rule
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2009 02:23PM

Not necessarily. If you want to throw it out, what are you going to replace it with? It's been arrived at by taking measurements from over 100 rods optimized by trial and error for the best performance with a wide variety of reels and lines.

But this doesn't mean you can't do something different. It's not a rule - it's a component of the New Guide Concept as I've arrived at it over many years. If you're comfortable trying some different set ups and test casting a bit, go right ahead. It's your rod and you're free to set it up in whatever fashion appeals to you the most.

With lighter or more supple line, the one thing you can definitely count on is being able to use a smaller butt guide ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 02:37PM by Tom Kirkman.

Re: Choker and 27x rule
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.carohosting.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 02:56PM

I think it probably is less important because everything is less important as you go down in line size and diameter. Nothing is as critical on smaller, limper line as it is on larger, stiffer line.

But having made that statement I find the 27X to be a good constant for locating the choker guide. It works with nearly any and all reel sizes and line types and works rather well I might add. Not at all like a compromise of sorts. It seems about right, for me, on most of the rods I have tried this way. It is likely that for any given line size there is going to be a perfect location for the choker guide and 27X might not be it. But the time it would take to find that perfect location for each and every line size does not seem worth the bother to me.

I have to chime in on Tom's statement about using smaller rings and especially at the butt guide location. I think is still important but as the line gets smaller and lighter I have been able to drop butt guide size down to just a third or quarter of my spool size. I do use very high frames though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster