I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salt Water Guides
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 02:55PM

On a spinning rod used for inshore reds and specks, do I need saltwater resistant guides if he's only using it for one week per year? The rest of the time he'd be using it for bass or pike in freshwater. Can he just wash them off good? Thanks for the help, I'm not familiar with saltwater rigors or requirements. Are there any guides that do double duty well but aren't heavy (weight)?

Thank you!

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salt Water Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2009 03:08PM

If he does remember to wash and rinse them very well after each and every time he uses the rod in saltwater, then no, you don't need totally corrosion resistant guides. But I would make sure the customer understands that failure to take care of them after each and every use in salt or brackish water will result in trouble down the road.

Another good reason to prepare and supply a "rod owner's manual" with each new rod.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 05:13PM

I fish in saltwater mostly but I do take care of my equipment. I have rods that I built in the 70's that I have yet to replace the guides. However, I have had to replace guides on some of my kids rods. I take that back; I had to replace some Fuji gold guides that I used when Fuji first started selling them. No matter how well I took care of those rods, the guides did rust. I use mostly Fuji alconite guides on my rods and have not had any problem with that type of guides.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 05:19PM

I build ONLY inshore spinning rods for the public. No problems with "normal" guides, just be sure to school them on rinsing and repeating. Of course, titanium or titanium plated guides are preferable ... but not necessary by any means. My most popular guide is a Fuji Alconite with Black Chrome frames. Just don't use ANYTHING with gold or colored plating ... reel seats, guides, winding checks, etc. Keep it simple and you will be just fine.

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.pacbell.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 08:10PM

After fishing in salt water I clean my rods with soap and hot water. I wipe down the blank section with a rag. For the guides and reel seats I scrub with a tooth brush and then hose them down with fresh water. I have rods that are over 20 years old and still look good.
Bill (Reno, NV)

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2009 12:02AM

As always, great info. Thanks to all,
Marc

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 12:16AM

It seems to clean rods with soap and water, as said above, is the right thing.
However there is a time factor involved. Cleaning should be done just as soon
as possible. Doing it the next morning has giver the water a chance to evaporate
and leave a reside, sometimes in tight places. Flooding with a garden hose
(nozzle off) pronto is a good start. After many years of repairing salt water rods;
it was always sad to see some real nice rods with the feet of the guides just
corroding under the wraps and finish.

jocko

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 09:38AM

What Jocko said.

In addition, I put mine in the shower, with a nice drizzle of warm water (not a powerful blast which will drive the salt into nooks and crevices, which converts later into trouble).

It also helps to use Salt-X to spray the rods down before doing the shower thing.

I think your friend will be fine.....

Whit

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 11:12AM

I build saltwater rods and mainly for people who fish on Party Boats and when I make a rod for someone they also get a written explanation on the cleaning and care of the rod. I have made a point of not building for anyone that does not take proper care of the rod I built and no money can sway me to make another rod if they dont take care of it.

I take 3 rods on each fishing trip and whether I use all 3 rods or not they all go into the shower with me for a good scrubbing after a day of fishing. I use a scrub pad with JOY and wash down the grips and then a rag with Joy to wash down the guides and the rest of the wrapping. I let it air dry . Some of my rods look like they are brand new and I have been using them for many many years and they look like I just made them.

A couple of years ago a rod builder from the UK saw my rods and couldn't believe the rods were 10 yrs old and I was using them every week. He is also a writer of a fishing column in England and he wrote a coulmn about my cleaning rods and showed a picture of the rods. I was thrilled to get a copy ot the article.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster