I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot guide as fly rod tip top
Posted by: Mike Rademacher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 04:13PM

Howdy all

Building my first fly rod and plan on using American Tackle Titan ring lock single foot fly guides. There is not a matching tip top to this guide set and I have looked at a couple options but none seem ideal. Was considering using a Recoil double wire (just for a more custom look) but it doesn't really match the look so good.

Is it possible to use a single foot guide as the tip top? If so, since there is no tube would the guide need to be treated any differently e.g. double wrapped? Concerned about the amount of stress on the top guide and if it may loosen if any side to side pressure comes into play (sadly like hanging a back cast in a tree for example).

The rod is a 5 wt Sage TCX and the running guides are the Titan NIRLFs in size 5.

Any insight is greatly appreciated - this forum has already provided a wealth of insight and information.

thanks. mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot guide as fly rod tip top
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2009 05:07PM

Just wrap and finish it as you would normally would and you'll be fine. You can only put so much pressure on a tiptop - because that's the most flexible part of the rod. Any force applied there transfers quickly down the rod to the stouter portion.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 07:18PM

I've toyed with this method, Mike, and I have an idea that you might find interesting.

One of the things that I didn't like about using a single-foot guide as a top was that it looked a bit weird. To offset this, I did an experiment where I wrapped the guide foot with silver metallic thread, and then did a short black rim wrap below it. It's not a perfect match, but it does slightly approximate (if you don't look too closely) the look of a metallic tube with a black wrap underneath it. It's worth a try if you have time and you want to make it look like there's a tube on there.

Posted by: Mike Rademacher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:14PM

Really appreciate the feedback. That sounds like an interesting idea to wrap the guide to look like its a standard tube. Since it sounds like a feasible option to use the single foot for the tip I may just run with it. again, thanks.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 11:27AM

You'll also find that you get a better line path when the guide on the tip is identical to the running guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 11:41AM

Fuji is the only one that makes a Ti top in SIC ring

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster