I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy on Underwraps?? Need advice..
Posted by: John Zarski (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2009 09:03AM

Good morning Everyone.. I have a quick question. Is it a must to epoxy over a underwrap before wrapping the guide? Can I just wrap the guide right over the non epoxyed underwrap and epoxy all of it in one shot? Thanks in advanced for the advice..

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy on Underwraps?? Need advice..
Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2009 09:35AM

John:

It depends on what kind of rod you are building. If it for off shore fishing I coat the under wrappings with epoxie, however if it is for inshore or freshwater use either spinning or bait casting I normally do epoxie the under wrappes if I even use an under wrap before placing the guide on the rod.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 09:56AM

What is the rod for?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:00AM

You can wrap right over it as is, but you may find it easier to do so if you apply either a coat of CP or a thin application of epoxy on the underwrap first.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:26AM

Tuna stand ups - A underwrap - two D guide wraps - blank Gudebrod - no CP - only three coats of two part epoxy after all thread work - get the first coat on quickly. If you are trying to use A over A you will need good foot prep and you may end up with pull throughs - in that case you may need to do a first coat on the underwrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 01:16PM

Even better one wet coat of permagloss then the guide. Hard and easy to wrap over.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 02:02PM

Unless you intend to wait five days or until the Perma Gloss has finished outgassing solvent before the application of two part epoxy on top of Perma Gloss - you will end up with bubbles in the finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 02:06PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2009 05:40PM

It's a Gator glass Blank. It will be used as a Bottom fishing rod. I think I am going to put a thin coat of epoxy on them just to solve any issues that might come up..

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.114.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 09:10PM

I epoxy my underwraps, it makes it easier to wrap the guides on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster