I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Repair
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 30, 2009 08:08AM

I have been doing searches with regards to Ferrule repairs. The best hit I get is a reference to a Ralph O'Quinn article written on repairing plug/spigot ferrules. I must admit to being clueless with regards to the differences in the two ferrules. I would like to describe the situation I am faced with and get any and all advice from this forum.

I have a two piece med. spinning Fenwick rod 6'6" long. I lent it to a fishing partner who broke the ferrule doing all the wrong things when he got his lure all hung up. The original ferrule was one that just inserted a (male) section of the tip of the butt end into the (female) bottom section of the tip end. The tip end has the thread reinforced wraps on it.

Questions:

(1) For my own knowledge what type of ferrule would this be referred to as?

(2) Since the bottom male ferrule section is both hairlined cracked for a small length of it and it does not insert into the top section for any great distance and strength anymore what would be my options for repairing this mistake.

Thanks for the help in advance

Steve Lynas

Steve Lynas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 08:08AM by Andrew Lynas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Repair
Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 09:58AM

Can you post a picture?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:04AM

That's the Fenwick "Ferullite" tip over butt ferrule. It's a good ferrule.

You can sleeve the inside of the male ferrule to reinforce it. You don't want to go overboard - the ferrule still needs to move and flex so you don't want an overly stiff sleeve in there.

If you've lost a portion of the male ferrule and no longer have sufficient overlap, you're in for a bit of trouble I'm afraid. If more than a little bit of the male end is missing, you're either going to have to reconstruct that piece (time consuming and demanding work) or assign that rod to the scrap bin.

One final alternative - you can build a completely new female ferrule (oversleeve) on the tip end to fit the current male section.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 11:50AM

If you have the entire male ferrule piece you are in a good position to fix it. I just did one like that and I opted to use up a cheap fly rod blank for the inner sleeve which had to be quite long since there was some long hairline cracks. Finding a suitable inner sleeve may be the hard part unless you have a lot of broken rods laying around. I used rod bond for the bonding agent. Good luck.

Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 30, 2009 07:55PM

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

I do not have any of the original male ferrule it broke off and was lost. As Tom has described I have a tip over butt ferrule, but the butt end broke off inside and was disgarded/lost.

Tom's final alternative was sort of the idea I was thinking of at first and it seems to me to be the least trouble. I am not sure if the "new female ferrule (over sleeve ) I fit to the tip end is rod bonded and then thread wrapped as well OR what is the procedure used to make this repair the best I can, given the fact I choose this option. Here are some dimensions just to throw out there so that perhaps I could be given an approx. dimension of sleeve I should be looking for. I do have several old broken rods I have saved for just this sort of thing.

The O/D for the Tip End where the new outer sleeve will be fitted over is .270" and the O/D of the butt end where the old male ferrule was is .210".

Any thoughts on a length and I/D diameter of a sleeve for my new female( outer sleeve) ferrule.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Lynas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2009 07:02AM by Andrew Lynas.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2009 10:13PM

The sleeve should be made from fiberglass - the lower modulus material coupled with the larger diameter should result in characteristics that are closer to the graphite blank across that same area. The ferrule needs to flex at roughly the same rate as the blank in that area does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster