I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off Topic - Are Bluegill Line Shy?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 07:59AM

Is there any reason to use a floro leader/line, or will braid and hi-vis line give me just as many strikes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic - Are Bluegill Line Shy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:06AM

That's something folks will argue for a long, long time. Why not try both and see which one seems to do best for you.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:08AM

I only went once with a guide in WI. We got blown out of a smallie float trip by tornado threats. The blue gills were a blast. Did not seem to be line shy at all. The guide explained that they are territorial and will hit a fly to protect their turf.
Herb

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 08:56AM

Having fished for bluegills on and off since 1947, it is my learned opinion that bluegills are not in the least line shy but only want to please the fisherman (especially the younger ones) by taking just about any offering put in front of them.

Some of the most fun I've ever had fishing was with a 4 wgt fly rod, wading in the shallows of a lake and catching 8 to 11 inch bluegills on small surface popping bugs. Ounce for ounce, one of the great fighters in the fish world.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 10:27AM

I have allways wanted to build myself a fly rod for blue gill fishing. I know nothing about fly rods and also have never fished with one. If I was to build one, what wgt would you reccomend, and what would be a good blank to start with.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2009 10:30AM

A 3 or 4 weight rod in an 8' length would be a good rod for bluegills or bream in general. The longer the rod, the greater the fight they'll put up.

I have a fantastic American Tackle 7'9" 3-weight that's really fun on these fish. Sadly, they no longer make it. I think the blank retailed for something like $17 at the time and it's one of my favorite fly rods. But there are plenty of other options out there - you don't have to spend a fortune to obtain a nice light-line fly rod blank.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 10:37AM

Thanks Tom

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 11:23AM

I caught a nice one under a dock on a 5" Senko, #3 hook, and 20# white braid.

I would say use the lightest line you can get away with. For ice fishing they are very line shy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 11:58AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:07PM

Here is something I am VERY experienced with, note it is not rod building. Bluegill will strike any clear or red mono 10lbs or under, over that they get nervous. Braids and fireline work fine, but like most other things in fishing, I have the most luck with Flurocarbon, this is most likely because Although I keep mono around for floating stuff, I rarely use it. I tie a fluorocarbon leader even on my casting and spinning rods lined with mono. My favorite for bream is a step down leader tied with stren superknot and a flurocarbon tippet. I use 4 lb triple fish most.

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 09, 2009 11:35PM

Bluegills are used to eating things that are nearly microscopic, and know how these little tidbits react when they are inhaled. Stands to reason that the smallest line you are willing to fish will surely get more takes. Many times if I am on a serious gill mission in clear water I will fish 2# line, and at times go to 1lb. Big trophy gills have been around for a decade and have seen just about everything (depending on the waters you are fishing), Gotta outsmart the big ones, anything under 9" is relatively easy most times.

Rod I use extensively is the loomis Noodle rod (N1382). Fantastic panfish blank w/ micro guides...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster