I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cured salmon roe stains
Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.gci.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 03:09PM

Does anyone have a product that will remove stains caused from cured salmon roe on rod blanks? I have rods built from Loomis shiney blanks and Rogue River matt finish blanks. I have tried carnuba wax and Pledge for protection but neither stands up to the acids in the cure. I have tried alcohol, vinegar and ammonia mix and all window cleaners but nothing seems to cut the stains. Strange thing is that it comes right off the reel seats.

Looking forward to a solution, thanks,

Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cured salmon roe stains
Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 04:29PM

Hydrogen Peroxide or Oxi-Clean - something effervescent perhaps?

Good luck!

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 09:41PM

First I would soak the rod if it is a 2 piecefor a couple hours then using alixquid soap scrub it with a terry cloth. If that does not work try Oxi-Clean. Is this stuff on the grips as well? If it is on cork you can lightly sand it with a gray scotch Brite pad. If it is Eva foam keep scrubbing. As a last resort try rubbing with a extra fine polishing car compound. Next time clean your rod up after fishing LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.gci.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 01:17PM

Mr. Balcombe,

I have eight Hot Shot and Back Bounce rods that are used by myself and my friends. They are kept as clean as possible during fishing and cleaned thoughly after EVERY trip, which in the summer is every day. I just wanted a suggestion for a cleaner, not a smart remark on how to take care of my equipment.

Brian,

Thanks for Oxi-Clean idea. I went out and bought some and I think with a couple of applications it will work. Thank you.

Larry

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 02:07PM

First of all lets keep this friendly My name is Bob. I use salmon and Steelhead Roe all the time and I even put some dye coloring in my egg mix. My rods rod are not stained at all. You stated that you could not get the stains off the rod which suggested to me they were not wiped down after using. Seriously I was not being a Real Smart Ass. I apologize if it sounded that way. Now what you may do in the future and you can do this while fishing and using eggs. Have a granny rag to wash your hand and rod with. I use a little joy liquid soap if my hand really get messy. Joy well not scare the fish away, it helps also to remove the male hormon sent which fish hate. That’s why women catch more fish. HINT OXI_CLEAN MY BE A GOOD IDEA. Not knowing the quility of the cork you are using. I would do a teast run. I have use Oxi to bleach cork, when I wante to different color tones of cork befor I applied cork seal.

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster