I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Fiber Grips and Handles
Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 04:26PM

I've noticed quite a few rods in the photo gallery with carbon fiber grips and handles on them.
Is there a source for these components, or are they something completely custom? I think I want one for my 5C70MHF.

Tight wraps!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber Grips and Handles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2009 05:09PM

RodMaker Volume 10 #6 tells the whole story.

You can obtain the parts and pieces from Riley Rods, a sponsor here. His link is in the left column. They have packaged the pieces in very convenient sizes and have good experience making these cores and grips.

Date: May 01, 2009 08:09PM

Thank you Tom.
I'll be sending you an email soon with a request.

Tight wraps!

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 05:44PM

I went nutz when I first seen these grips. There is a bunch of info floating around here on them but I was still unsure about the whole process. I was able to attend the Rodbuilding Expo this year and I got to talk first hand to several exihitors about these grips. I bought my supplies from Riley Rods while I was at the show and built my first set a couple weeks ago. They came out great and I can't wait to build another set. Here is some good advice for you if you want it.. Be sure to form the grip to fit you hand good. If it's too small diameter, it will feel like it's coming out of your hand when you cast it. The form and shape of the grip is very, very important.

You should call Riley Rods and talk to Mike about what all you will need and he will get it right for you.

Good luck,
Steve

Date: May 03, 2009 12:29AM

Thanks Steve!
I will definitely be calling someone at Riley Rods this Monday.
I went and checked out their site after Tom told me where they were available, and needless to say I'm impressed- and eager!
I would love to have one of the carbon fiber grips on my new 5C70MHF-B that is arriving Monday, and may even use some of the Caribbean Gold Chameleon pigment to match the flip-flop finish on the blank.

Tight wraps!
Brian

Date: May 03, 2009 08:25AM

"There is a bunch of info floating around here on them but I was still unsure about the whole process."

This sort of thing always puzzles me. The articles that launched this technique, even to folks like Mike at Riley Rods, appeared in RodMaker Magazine. You cannot find the same width and breadth of information on making these cores and grips on the internet as you can in those in very in-depth and carefully researched and photographed articles.

There's never any reason to be "unsure about the whole process" of this or most anything else - it's all in RodMaker.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 10:44AM

What Tom said is true. Rodmaker magazine is a great source of info. When the foam core grips came out I thought to myself "Sure look nice But I don't know if I will find a need for them". I just got my order in from Riley rods, and I am turning the house upside down trying to find the Rodmaker Mag that covered them. I cant wait to start playing with them.

Kirk

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 11:59AM

I'll echo Tom's comments. I learned the basic process from the articles. Over time I have started to do a few small things differently, BUT I did this AFTER reading and understanding the articles and using that technique. Like anything you are better served to get a strong foundation on the basic task...then bridge out from there if you want.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 12:11PM

Information culled from the internet and multiple sources is usually sketchey at best!! What usually happens is that you collect incomplete snippets of info that may or may not be accurate and often leaves out steps.

The best source for accurate info is the original article that introduced the technique. That way, you know that the info has been tested, is accurate and explained in detail with photos.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 03, 2009 02:33PM

Volume 10 #6 (foam core and basic skinning information) and Volume 11 #4 (shrink tube skin technique).

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 04:03PM

I would encourage you to get both back issues. I do both versions of the technique to get slightly different results. I use the original method to get a more textured feel which some like, and I use the shrink tube method to get a smooth feel which many prefer. The only thing I do differently from the first article is that I don't ever worry about tucking the material. When I do the hand version I coat the entire core with epoxy (including the faces) then use a small zip tie to pull the ends of the matieral cleanly to the madrel....picked the zip-tie tip up from Mike P. at the ICRBE.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster