I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hot Shot Rod Blank???????
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 02:14AM

Hello Everybody,

This is going to be for a 9 foot "Whipping" rod for my friend in Hawaii.

I'm looking for the following characteristics in this blank:

X-fast to Fast tip
Medium to Medium Heavy action
upto 1oz wt. lure
no less than 9 feet long
two-piece rod (need to take on the plane with me)
under $50

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hot Shot Rod Blank???????
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:32AM

Batson makes the HS1021 and HS1025
The HS1021 would be perfect but if you have to have 9ft you would need to extend the blank
6in as it is only 8ft6in. the RX7 should be around the price your looking at.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:37AM

I've used the Rainshadow Hot Shot blanks and extended them up to 10.5 feet. Great whipping rods. If I remember correctly they were the 1023 and 1025 blanks. I use them to freeline oama too.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 01:03PM

$50 hotshot blanks are going to be hard to come by.

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 02:33PM

Check out www.utmostenterprises.com closeout blanks page. We have an 1023 hot shot blank for $25.00.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 03:53PM

I've also built whipping rods on many different salmon/steelhead blanks. If rod is to be used for whipping at night, then these are the way to go. You should be able to find lots of blanks to fit your requirements. Blanks with the 1084 thru 1086 type designations should fit your criteria. Just look for those with "fast" action designations and the appropriate line/lure ratings. Rainshadow, Lamiglas, and Loomis (if you can find them) all make blanks for this type of fishing. Only thing is I don't think you'll find one listed for $50.00. The previous post mentions a terrific deal. Too bad I still have a few of those blanks left. The ones I built, turned into excellent rods for my usage.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.140.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 11:51PM

I built a fly rod on an HS1021 blank - it turned out to be an 11 weight. It throws a loop a long way and is an effective fish fighting tool. This extra fast action/taper blank apparently has a lot of uses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster