I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrap method, guide size, best spacing Seeker Blank BS706 S glass
Posted by: Gary Amis (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 07:22AM

I have the split grip shaped, fuji ecm reel seat cut out to expose the full blank and the threads cut off approx 1/2 inch so now I am ready tp wrap and finish. I cut about an inch of the butt and the rod stands at 85". This rod will primarily be used for buzzbaits, traps, crankbaits - largemouth bass fishing!

What method - spiral, simple spiral, conventional do you use and recommend?
What size guides preferred?
What spacing works for you for recommended method?

THX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrap method, guide size, best spacing Seeker Blank BS706 S glass
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2009 09:33AM

i have the same blank with a traditional guide/wrap setup. If you don't plan on using a leader of any sort that will have a knot to pass through the eyes, I would try a simple spiral with sz3 or 4 running guides. If you do a spiral, you may have to use up to a size 7 or 8 double foot guide for the butt and bumper guide due to the diameter of the blank. If you are leary of mic... er uh .... really small guides, you can run single foot 6s pretty much from the 1st 180* to the tip. You'll probably have to experiment a little to get the right butt, bumper and 180 combination with a blank as thick as this one however.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 11:21PM

Gary - I have built quite a few of these blanks lately, IMHO it's the best crankbait blank on the market. I have built two different guide set ups, one with fuji alconites and the others with Amtak titanium ring locks. Both are sweet but the titanium's are the way to go, shoot me an email and ill give you the guide numbers and spacing if you want. Im building 2 BS756S blanks right now that I extended to 7' 10''. I cant build these fast enough, you will absolutely love it for crankbaiting, it will be the best and favorite rod you own, which you will want to throw more and will increase your confidence in crankbaiting.

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 01, 2009 01:07PM

With the ECS seat have you tried putting a reel on it. 1/2" is a lot of thread to cut off. I think I usually cut off .400" off the threads and the nut is usually flush with the end of the threads of the seat.

Posted by: Gary Amis (---.delphi.com)
Date: May 01, 2009 04:59PM

1/2 " is an estimate. I measure with a reel on it prior to cutting with a band saw.............after it is cut I end up with one or two threads showing cause that's what i like ................ :)

Posted by: Gary Amis (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 09:07AM

Mike - sent you an e-mail - THX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster