I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Small diameter blank crosswrap
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: April 22, 2009 04:43PM

I usually build larger diameter blanks but have an inshore Loomis that I have had planned for myself for the past year that still sitting on the shelf because I can't choose a wrap. Any suggestions for a closed wrap that looks good on a small diameter blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small diameter blank crosswrap
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 05:46PM

Spider or scales
optical chevys is good in metallics

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 07:13PM

I have an ultra-lite with 6mm diameter at the butt wrap that I did in a 3D box wrap using red silk. I left it open so the blank would show through the boxes but think that it would have looked nicer if I closed it... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 07:51PM

HOw complex do YOU want to go? THere have been a few posts on very small diameter blanks with "complex" wraps. FWIW, I like Iron Crosses on small diameter blanks. IT's an easy pattern to wrap and looks good when left open.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2009 08:15PM

I'd like it somewhat complex but since it's been sitting for the past year I also really just want to catch something on it. I like the 3D boxes but wanted to do something more complex than that and I have scales on nearly all my other rods. Billy I'm pulling your book out now to check out the iron cross.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:24PM

Use smaller thread...60 wt Madeira or 100 sik.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 10:38PM

Scott, I e-mailed you a link of teh wrap I was specifically referring to. IT scared me that I posted it in 2003.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster