I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank for specific application
Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 05:20PM

I have a couple of friends who want flyrods for a very specific application. Here in the Ozarks, we do quite a bit of small creek fishing for fat smallmouth. Frequently the creeks resemble those in western Colorado - lots of back brush and overhanging limbs. What would I need to make a 5.5 - 6 ft 6 wt rod? What type of action would it need to cast streamers on such a short rod? I'm thinking extremely slow action since it likely involves cutting a blank and the short rod would need to load more slowly than usual. Of course, I may be way off base here and an extra extra fast rod might be the way to go...this is just my thinking. Anyone have any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank for specific application
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2009 05:29PM

I'd use a fast action rod - using the proper line will load the rod, no matter what action it has. The faster tip helps shoot casts a little tighter in those places where you need a very narrow or closed loop.

You may not have to cut the blank. Take a 6'6" spinning rod rated for about 5/16th ounce and put a 6 or 7 weight line on it. That will load it at those shorter distances.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 06:12PM

Hi Kyle,
You may want to look at the E-Glass SPG blanks, or the faster action SB Graphite blanks.
Here is a link, the SPG series has been popular for small streams in many places.
[www.schneidersrods.com]
We are in Mtn Home, AR if you want to come by and look, we keep them all in stock.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Eric Burkhart (216.174.22.---)
Date: April 23, 2009 08:13AM

You may want to look at the Sage website, I beleive they are now making 2 models specifically noted as bass rods, short and I believe 6 or 7 wts, may give you some ideas.
Eric

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.dsl.clsm.epix.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 08:36AM

I am working on almost this exact project right now, and have 2 stories to share…

I am from PA, fish a lot of small mountain streams for brookies, and recently built a dorbeR F542/3 blank (2-3wt, 4.5 ft.) for small fish and brushy streams. It is a very slow action, I like it a lot for this application but it does throw a lot of sin-wave so you have to lengthen your casting stroke. But, it can throw about 40 ft. with a 3wt Cortland sylk weight- forward floating line. They have a 4/5 wt blank in a similar length which I have not had the chance to handle, but might be what you are looking for.

The 2nd story, I have been wanting a short, 6-or-so wt. Fly rod for brushy farm ponds and southern PA small-stream smallmouth fishing for some time. I was planning to buy the above mentioned blank until the following happened… Last fall I picked up an old, about 5.5 ft., solid fiberglass kids closed-face, plastic trigger grip rod set up with the old-style foul-proof wire guides. All I wanted was the guides, and it was only $2, so I bought it and figured the rest of the rod would be spare parts. Last week I pulled it out to strip off the guides, but first out of pure curiosity taped a fly reel to the junk handle and tried casting 8wt and 10wt lines. It did remarkably well, my new close-quarters bass rod! So, I tore everything apart, cut off the junk handle with a file, and extended the blank to restore the original length. Part of my concept for this rod is that it would be suitable for spinning as well as fly, so it will be a compromise build. I am planning to use a full-wells handle, a PacBay channel lock fly reel seat which also holds my spinning reel well, an oversized fighting but for a finger and palm rest when spinning, and casting guides instead of snakes. Since it is so short weight is not a problem, though sensitivity will be less than a modern blank, and it will be as close to indestructible as it comes. A total experiment, but I am anxious to see how it turns out.

I just present this as a story more than advice, maybe it will give somebody an idea, maby not. I hope it is interesting, or at least amusing :-)
If anybody has done anything similar, I would be interested in hearing how it turned out!

Adam

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.95.20.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 07:58PM

I agree with Tom.
Fast action for quick accurate casts without a lot of rod stroke.
Look for a 6 foot IM7 spinning blank with a .270 butt and a 4.5 tip.
Probably rated at fast action light.
This should cast 6 weight with a flick of the wrist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2009 08:03PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 24, 2009 08:10PM

St Croix makes a really good short fly blank that may fit the bill. It is the 3-pce Avid (SCIII), 6'6" and rated for 4 wt. It has a med/fast action and loves to be overlined at close quarters. I've used one for years with a 6 wt line on very tight streams. It casts beautifully, packs small, has plenty of backbone and has proven to be as tough as nails when dragged through bushes etc. I built mine with oversize black snakes for stealth and strength and it is a great rod for those tight bushy streams. I'm sure there are lots of other options out there such as some of the short Tiger Eye blanks, but I know this one works well with a heavy line. Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster