I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to strip off a cork grip?
Posted by: Al Sanders (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:02PM

I have a rod that has a cork grip and I wanted to stip it off and redo the handle. How would I go about removing the cork?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to strip off a cork grip?
Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:48PM

I use my razor saw and cut it like shaving a pineapple and then I chuck it in my lathe and sand smooth....thats it

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:58PM

If you have a lathe, put the Stanley Sur Form file on it and just turn it away, nearly down to the blank surface. Shouldn't take more than perhaps 1 minute or so.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:20PM

If you're going to be removing a number of cork grips, buy a "knob cutter". It's a bonsai training tool that has opposing curved blades and operates like a pair of pliers. The tool bites out pieces of cork, similar to biting into an apple. I also use this tool to remove reel seat wood after heating off the butt cap and threaded barrel.

Jeff

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 01:31AM

I have used a channel lock type pliers like a parrots beak to rip out chunks of cork. Don't grab to deep. Once you get the first piece out the rest chunk out pretty easy. You might want to save the cork to grind up and mix with epoxy or rod bond for a cork filler. A whole grip should be enough to last quite awhile and it is going to be in pieces anyway.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 09:44AM

Andy's method works well if you don't have a lathe and it's safe. You'll be amazed at how quickly it goes once you get the first chunk out. You'll be left with residual epoxy that you can sand the high spots off and then refit with new cork.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster