I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Story Pole & Heavier Off Shore Rods
Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 07:39PM

Building a Seeker CJBF60HB 40-60# 6' rod for a friend. I've built a few of them over the last few years and wanted to play around with using the story pole method for guide placement. Recently at the Lamiglas workshop and in Rodmaker magazine, the topics were covered.

Let start with the article. It suggests that the blank be deflected 1/3 of the blanks length. 1/3 of 6'=72" 7 / 3 = 24" With 10# hanging on the tip it only makes 19 5/8" I wasn't comfortable with pulling much harder. I'm using 6 guides not including the tip top so 19.625" / 6 = 3.27" So marked the story pole accordingly and end up with a guide spacing of:

3 1/4"
6 7/8"

The blank does have a fast taper, but for a spiral wrap it just doesn't make sense to have the 1st guide at 3 1/4"

I'm thinking that loading the rod following those directions just doesn't make sense - opinions

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Story Pole & Heavier Off Shore Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:19PM

"I'm thinking that loading the rod following those directions doesn't make any sense..."

But you didn't load the rod according to the instructions.

That 3-1/4 inch first guide spacing is not what you would have gotten if you had followed the instructions. You decided that you weren't going to load it according to the instructions and thus you got a figure that seems odd. Loaded to the amount Bill listed in the article, that measurement would be quite a bit different. So this isn't a problem with the method, but a problem with your own use of the method.

If it were me, I'd figure out a way to load the blank per the instructions. I know it's stout, but if you want to use this method then that's the way it is. Otherwise, do something different.

You've already bypassed some of the instructions and so at this point it doesn't matter if you bypass them all. Just don't expect to get the results you might get if you followed them.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 10:42PM

Ted
Since the blank was not deflected to 24" I'm sure the tip angle, or action angle, was a lot different than it needs to be for that measurement. Anyway, if you were offshore and hooked only a 10# you would think it rather small for what you were after. Likewise, if you did hook something in the 60# or more range would you be afraid of the rod breaking? Would the rod not bend way over, at least 24"? What size line did you plan to use for the rod when done? Certainly more than 10#. . . . JMO
Andy

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 12:27AM

Andy to answer your question probably 80 spectra with a top shot of 50 or 60, so max drag would be 16.5# for the 50# top shot. My bet would be the tip would only carry maybe 1#, the lion share of the load going to guides 3-6 and the reel spool. Another example Rainshadow RCTB60H 40-80, I don't think you can hang enough weight on that blank to make it deflect 24". I don't know maybe Karry has tried to blow one up. Heck a simple lever says there is 60# at the butt end of the rod with 10# of force with a 6' lever and X (distance from fulcrum to butt) of 12" Where F x L = W x X

F=10
L=72

W=
X=12

10 x 72 = W x 12
720=12w
60=w

thanks I think you've answered my questions

BINGO read FAQ #2 on the Common Sense page - makes sense why it doesn't work now

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 03:16PM by Ted Culin.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2009 07:15AM

The fact is that with even a little more deflection, the measurements would be markedly different than what you arrived at.

If you don't want to flex the blank that far, you might be better off using a different method of guide placement, or adjusting what you have now until it suits you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster