I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TFO quality control - paint
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2009 09:04PM

Well after MUCH anticipation and 3 shipping days (that felt like 3 weeks) my TFO, TICR-X blank arrived today!! But hold the door, the paint job is terrible... substandard at best. They stopped the paint a full 3+ inches from the male ends and left a few inches of the tip section female end unpainted as well. To add insult to injury, the line where they stopped paintin on each section is WAY uneven (actually has pool and run marks) and there are smudges and "gank marks" on the unpainted areas. I could have beat this paint job in my garage, with a can of spray paint and a piece of used tape. :(

It's going back. I just hope that's not typical for them, I hate paying return shipping for stuff beyond my control especially when it should have been caught at the factory and at the retailer.

Rant over... all that to preface my question of have you guys had similar paint quality on TFO blanks???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TFO quality control - paint
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2009 09:51PM

These are not expensive blanks, although they perform just fine.

Read the thread below about a similar situation with a TFO blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 12:02AM

I here this a lot here. I would check out Batson. There paint jobs are excellent. I would rather have a gray unpainted blank then them.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.185.---)
Date: April 17, 2009 03:36AM

Ummmm, that TiCR-X probably casts great .

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.155.---)
Date: April 17, 2009 04:25AM

I'm not sure if this is the case with TFO however it's becoming a" feature" of some surf rod blanks. There should not be runs or smudges however some rods blanks are purposely left unpainted for better grip near the joins.

Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 06:37AM

YOur going to be duly embarrassed by this RANT when you learn that the blank is supposed to be that way. The gray paint is actually raw graphite that is put there to make a wearable ferrule system. It's designed to keep the ferrule snug as the male and female parts wear over time and use. The uneven "paint" lines on the male ends do not matter because you are to wrap that side just like the ferrule wrap on the female end. It's a very good design and an excellent blank.

Date: April 17, 2009 10:18AM

Then how come no one else does it that way.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:19AM

No embarrassment here... I think you misread my post. I know they need to stop short of the joint, but they stopped way short. And the "gray" is not bare graphite, it too is a coating of sorts. (speaking of the shiny silver coating at the joints which also has pooled on one side) And the chief complaint is that the blue paint was not masked off in a straight line nor applied properly (as evidenced by a pooling run and overspray on the joint areas.) Sure, I was going to wrap to it, but the shiny uneven lines will show through a nylon w/o CP, which is my chosen thread.

I never doubted the design or quality of blank, as I'm a fan of TFO rods... I just figured it was painted at about 4:58 pm on a Friday, of a long weekend. ...lol

No worries though, I already have the RA # and it will be gone this morning.

Bill, I also like Batson and have built a good number of them... but they didn't offer what I wanted on this one.

Date: April 17, 2009 10:54AM

Must have been the Adult Beverage ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster