I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide size/placement advice
Posted by: Chris-Sadler (99.191.178.---)
Date: April 16, 2009 09:25PM

I just got finished test casting a 6'6" sc3 med fast spinning rod, It seemed as though i had alot of line slap, it was very noisy. the guide setup that i was testing is as follows from butt 10 8 6 4 4 4 4 4 4 4tip, spacing from tip 3", 6 7/16, 10 5/16, 14 5/8, 19 5/16, 241/2, 30 1/8, 36 1/8, 42 5/8, 49 1/2, that put my butt guide 16 1/2" off the lip of the spool, the spool has a 2" diameter if that helps. This is the setup that i was sold, and dont have any other guides to switch out and test so if anyone has any suggestions of what i might do different i will get them ordered asap. This is the first rod that i am building, and have 4 more here after this one, this is so ADDICTING!
Hope you can help, thanks in advance
chris sadler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide size/placement advice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2009 09:50PM

That sounds like a casting rod guide set up.

Read the New Guide Concept article in the library (Volume 10 #4 RodMaker is even better) and see how it matches to what you have there.

You can do much better but you need a little background information before we continue this.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 09:58PM

Chris, that size 10 sounds awfully small-which probably makes it very short as well. Sounds like a setup that might have been recommended for a casting rod instead of a spinning rod. A size 20 may have been a better place to start, and then depending on line size/type you may have had to go up or down 1 size from there to get good casting results. Are you getting any distance with that setup?

Chris

Date: April 16, 2009 10:26PM

im getting about 100' with a 3/16 rigged senko and the guides are single foot alconite as well so they are very short

Date: April 16, 2009 10:47PM

Tom
i read the article and then i laid the rod against the table edge and the intersection point is 3" from the tip. My butt guide if i went with the 17"-23" range i would have 2 1/4"-2 1/2" from bottom of blank to table edge, am i on the right track?
thanks
chris sadler

Posted by: David Teague (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 12:10AM

Chris, I am in agreement with tom and chris...you say spinning rod but looks to me from your post that you were sent casting guides...I assume from a kit..so I'd talk to your supplier and get it straightened out...then we'll be more than happy to get you on the right track.

Dave

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2009 08:10AM

If you use the older method with the table edge, the intersection point where be where it will be. It is correct for that method. Now with that method I see no way that a size 10 butt guide is going to work at 16 inches from the spool face. It wouldn't be anywhere near the plotted line path. You would have to use a size 20 or 25 to match the 2 to 2-1/2 inches you mention.

You have the right idea, but I don't think you have the right guides. Understand that what you were sent will work (almost anything will work) but with the right guides things will work much better.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 08:58AM

I have built some spinning rods with micros with a 16, 10, 8 and 12, 8, 6 prior to runner micros but the guide frames have been super tall TATSG, REC or BYAG spinning - the rods work quite well - I have not use a 10 ring for the butt guide as yet -

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: April 17, 2009 09:10AM

If they are indeed single foot Alconites then you are definitely missing a guide. The butt guide, which in your case could be either a 25 or a 20. When you say single foot, are they single foot Y frames (BYAG) or single foot fly frames (BLAG)?

Try BYAG 20, 12, 8L, then your size 4's out to the tip.
If you have BYAG 10, then use that instead of the 12: all you may need is the 20, and maybe change the BYAG 8L to a BLAG 8, but I'd order a 25, 20, 16, 12 to play around with also. It may seem a waste of money, but extra guides build up and sooner or later you'll have a very useful collection for further research and repairs.

As an addition, buy a full set of the same height frames in a cheaper frame finish/ring material combination, like Fuji's O-ring or Hardloy concept frames (BYOG and BYLG, corresponding fly guides are BOG and BLG). That way you can mock up a setup and know exactly which guides you'll need. Tests cast, load test etc. You'll also get a better mental picture of which guides give a good guide train at common spacings. Then select the guides you are going to put on the rod, prep them wrap and finish.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:08AM

I've built basically the same rod with the same guides and it performs well for me. The 10 guide looks weird but I've been happy with it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:29AM

If you are throwing a 3/16 Senko that far all I can say is have fun and congrats!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 10:49AM

You should take a look at the ( M ) guides since your butt guide is that small. These are higher and may work even better ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris-Sadler (99.144.116.---)
Date: April 17, 2009 06:23PM

Ted they are single foot fly guides, Is anyone going to tennessee in may, I might be able to pick up what i need there. Bill do u really think throwing a senko 100' is impressive?
thanks chris

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: April 19, 2009 07:40PM

OK, if they are all BLAG's then to get good frame height you'll need the BYAG's, or you can try the M frames for height and small ring size. The height is important to reduce line slap and create a smooth line of flow from the rel spool to the choke guide.

Try out BYAG 16 and 10 ahead of the current 8. Take out the BLAG 10. Sounds like you are seeing the benefits of reducing the guide train size if you can get a Senko to 100' using just fly guides. That's good distance, 'cos althouh they are pretty heavy, they aren't the most aerodynamic lure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster