I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Straight guides
Posted by: jonathan r ghazal (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 08:54PM

I was wondering what you guys do to keep your guides straight? I have built about a dozon rods, and sold a few of them. I find that my guides are straight, but they are not perfect. I really want to sell my stuff, but I want to perfect it first! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straight guides
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 09:23PM

There are some things even machines still cant do all that well. Eyeballing it is about the best you can get or run a line though them with little tension (1/4-1/2oz weight) and make sure the line touches the same relative spot on every guide.

Date: April 12, 2009 11:47PM

Great idea. I will give that a try!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 11:49PM

I have found that after wrapping the guides (before any type of finish) and you can still move them, with rod horizontal I turn the rod so the guides are on the underside and then site down from directly above and determine if each guide is in the same relative location side to side. This works because the rod acts as a straight edge and you will see portions of the guides on each side of the rod. I found this to be much more accurate then trying to eyeball with guides on top.

Not the only way, but one that works for me.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 11:53PM

I've got a piece of small diameter rod about4 ft. long; and is straight after checking.
It's fed through the guides. Alignment can be checked with guides either up or down;
along with eyeballing.

jocko

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 07:06AM

After the handle and seat is on I mark the blank and glue the top on. Then I wrap from the top to the butt. After each guide is wrapped I eyeball and align to the top. One at a time with them up and down, in good light.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 07:56AM

Dont forget - even though you build on the "straightest" axis there may be compound bends in the blank that prevents a perfect build. That will show as off-center guides.
Herb

Posted by: james gregory (---.direcway.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 09:50AM

Jonathan,I am new to the craft also.i was having problems with guide straightness.i remembered something on a flex coat dvd how Roger Seiders got his straight.hold the rod in the middle of your chest and keep both eyes open.you can then see on both sides of your rod at the same time and see how much guide is sticking out on each side of the rod.hold the rod sort of sticking up and you can see from butt to tip.you can also see in the middle of guide and see how it lines up in relation to the centerline of your rod.i hope this helps,it did for me.thanks to Mr.Seiders.jim.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 01:00PM

This has got to be my least favorite part of the building rods and it shows in my alignment. I just don't pay that much attention to it anymore, as long as I get them close the any crooked rod looks straight while fishing, I am good with it.

I know factories have tried lazers, strings, racks, sticks etc. but probably the good ol, "by eye" thing works the best. Remembering way back, I did most of the guide aligning myself by eye which ment I could be aligning 75 to over 100 rods a day by myself, talk about a drag...... I would have various workers align and when I found a gal that could get them close she was instantly recruited. Everybody sees "straight guides" differently and the trick was to find someone that was fast and if I handed a rod to various folks they could accept the guides as aligned "straight". The nice part was that same person could usually apply decals straight as well.

We used to build on the spine with only slight variation for a straight rod overall. If the blank was straight we would make sure the guides were mounted on the center of the blank. Then we would look at the frames for alignment and then on to the space (if there was any) between blank and the guide rings when sighting down the rod. Most of the sighting would be done with the butt against our lower chest or upper belly. The back ground and lighting will make a huge difference as well. Probably the best thing to do if develop the procedure that works best for you with acceptable results in the end.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 04:59PM

I align from the tip looking toward the butt. Get the butt guide centered (by looking from handle), then work the other way with the other guides centered on the butt guide.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:27PM

Align em by eye as best as you can and go with it. After all, you're not shooting birds with it. Your customer is probably gonna look down the rod cuz that's what they think they're supposed to do. Kinda like kickin the tires on a new car before you buy it. As long as they look straight to him, he'll be alright with it but perfection here is way overkill as there is no return on perfectly straight guides over some that are just a tad off. Trust your eyeballs.

Date: April 14, 2009 03:40AM

Thanks for all the great advice! It sounds like the eye is the way to go, but I will also try the other suggestions too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster