I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another "micro" tip-top question
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 10:55PM

Tonight while I was laying out the guides for a 2S66MHF (i'm using size 4 BLAG's for the runners) I noticed that a size 4 BLAG will fit snugly into the tip of the rod. I know that some guys wrap a "micro" guide on the tip in place of a tip-top, but has anyone ever used one that is inserted into the tip of the rod for use as a tip-top? Is this a good idea? I would use tip-top adhesive to glue it in place and I would then wrap the tip of the rod. I'm not sure that this would be enought to hold it in place and I'd like the opinion of someone who's been doing this alot longer than me.

thanks,
jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another "micro" tip-top question
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 11:57PM

Jeremy,

I have not done that before, but my 1st thought is that you would be applying stress to the tip of the rod. I am thinking that it could possibly split open the tip of the blank, or weaken it. I have come up with a fool proof way of splitting micro tops, I will be unveiling it here in the coming weeks.

Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:32AM

My concern would be that the thickness if the blank would intrude into the space of the guide rings opening. Which is critical on the tip as the line often bends at this point creating a chance of restriction (friction) with heavier lines to begin with.
This has been apart of the challenge of developing a good micro tip with larger tubes because they create the same effect by intruding into the rings space.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.asdp83.sra.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 10:25AM

Has anyone used the match rod tip tops with any success?

i.e. Fuji BNMVAT

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 12:11PM

Yes

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 02:36PM

Steve,

That's a very good point. I just looked and the thickness of the blank does not protrude into the guide ring opeing. However, after the tip is wrapped and epoxied, there would definitely be some intrusion into the guide ring opening.

I just taped up the guides and used a BFAT 6 for the tip top. I took the rod down to the pond and casted it a few times. I was using 14lb mono with a 3/4oz crankbait and I could easily cast it 70 yards (the diameter of the pond). For me, there's no substitute for the benefit of using the smallest guides that will do the job.

Thanks for your input,
jeremy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 06:07PM

Why not look at a 5 or a 6 with a tube to fit the blank ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 06:01PM

Batson has size 4 ring tiptops-check out the "hot specials" area of Schneiders Rod Shop site, to the left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster