I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ring materials and casting distances
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2009 05:30PM

I am wondering if any of you have noticed an appreciable difference in flycasting with different guide ring materials. I'm really having a hard time deciding between Nanolite, SiC and Alconites for my flyrod build. (9 wt) I would prefer titanium frames since it will be used in saltwater occasionally, but the Alconites "seem" more slick to me than SiC, so I assume they will cast great (better?) with fly line. I actually like alconites better with mono, but there isn't a titanium frame option to consider.

Money really isn't an issue, just looking for the right choice. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ring materials and casting distances
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2009 05:42PM

You will never find any practical difference between any of those in terms of casting distance. There is very little surface friction between the line and the guides on a cast. Unless you have some good amount of pressure forcing the surfaces (line and rings) against each other, the type friction it would take to make a difference in this situation just isn't going to occur. In fact, if the weight is equal, you could cast just about as far with guides and rings made from paper clips as you can guides holding SIC rings.

The time when the ring slickness and hardness does make a difference is when the line is paying out against a hard running fish. In that instance you do have pressure which forces the line against the rings. For me, this is where you benefit from very smooth, slick rings. Your line will pay out more smoothly and your line will also last longer. But even then, most any quality ceramic these days is pretty slick. Not sure how much if any difference you'll notice between the SIC and Alconite rings.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 05:45PM

Keith,
For fly guides you will not notice ANY difference re material. Build the rod with an eye towards the weight you are adding, or not adding, to the blank. REC single-foot Recoils - the lightest. If ceramics go with Fuji Ti SiC's. Personally I only use the REC recoils and sometimes the Fuji's for the 16,12. Or I will go with the Recoils all the way.
Again, other than weight you will not tell the difference in "slippery" performance.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.20.68.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 07:40PM

If you add insert guides to a fly rod your casting distance will decrease.
Unless you have braid or mono running thru the guides you do not require inserts.
For the max casting distance you want the rod to give max tip velocity.
Insert guides are heavier and slow the blank down reducing casting distance.
If you fish for a species that makes long runs into the backing this is where insert guides are the best choice but you give up line casting distance for fish fighting ability.
I have several friends that use ceramic in titanium frames for salmon fishing but they only make 30 - 40 foot casts with sinking lines . The reason for the ceramics is after the fish is hooked it may be quite a while before they see the fly line again. Saltwater fish can also pose the same problems.

Date: April 09, 2009 08:20PM

Ceramic guides are not necessarily heavier than non-ceramic guides. Plus, they only have half the thread and resulting finish, which often weighs as much as a guide itself.

Weight is obviously important, of course, Much more important to casting distance and rod response than ring type is.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 09:00AM

Take a look at the American Tackle Titan guides Ti Frame

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:18AM

Thanks for the responses.

Bill, I actually am looking at the Titan (ringlocks) as one of the options. Any practical differences between them and the Fuji Ti SiC's?

Date: April 10, 2009 10:50AM

Price---And the name brand - Fuji

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 10:51AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:56AM

Keith,
Look at the Fuji's and any other competitor under a 10 power lens and you won't ask that question again
Herb

Date: April 10, 2009 11:54AM

If you want to spend the money, but the Fuji's.

It has also been said here that the SIC rings are so hard that they tend to crack ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 10, 2009 02:34PM

They won't crack unless you do something to crack them. I've used them for years and never had a single one crack. And we'd be talking thousands and thousands of them. No, they're not prone to cracking any more than rods are prone to breaking. Abuse is what breaks rods and cracks guide rings.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 06:20PM

Go for the Titan Ringlocks,,,, I love them. I haven't used the REC guides or paperclips but I have used the Titan Ringlocks and they are awesome. Whether it be the light weight or flexibility of titanium or the Nanolite rings, they have performed very well for me. I'll bet even after looking at them with a microscope I would not be deterred from my wholehearted endorsement.

I doubt you will see any measureable difference in distance from just ring materials. I look at it as more of a total package issue. Short foot print, single foot design, light weight, flexible frame material, and a sensible ceramic ring.

As far as durability, any ceramic is susceptible to fracture and yes most incidents occur as a result of "hard use". Over the years I have had cracked/fractured with SiC, but probably just as much as with Hardloy, whether it be the grey-ish, blue-ish, brown-ish, or pink-ish ring versions that Fuji has used. I have also had Hialoy and Zirconias as well. Normal fishing won't damage rings as most issues occur from impact of some sort. I am pretty hard on rods and I haven't had a ton of failure but I hate replacing guides. Funny since my profession allows access to replacement parts easier the most folks. Interestingly enough, the old Fuji BNHG's which I have used longer then any other insert guides, have never been damaged on my rods. The first place ring durability makes a difference is in the manufacturing of the guides. Ceramic rings will break when pressed into the frames especially if a slim or reduced size ring is desired. We prefer a tight-press fit where some factories will opt for more of a glue-bond fit. In this process we ran into issues with some of the harder (and softer) materials holding together. We found that the hard Nanolite inserts allowed us reduce material volume and at the same time hold up to riggers of assembly and "hard fishing" (not to be confused with abuse). Hard to say exactly what contributed to the Nanolite holding up better, maybe the hardness of SIC and the increased porosity of the softer materials allowed easier fracture but the Nanolite won out in everything we considered, including economics. Over all we consider it to be an extremely durable ceramic ring.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2009 07:37PM

I'll second the comment- look at the guides with a 10X jeweler loupe and you'll get a clear sense of answers to your questions. I did and quality difference seemed pretty obvious to me.

Mo

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 09:29AM

The Product Review & Standards Committee, PRSC of the Custom Rodbuiding Quality Assurance Section, QRQAS, of the Roduilding International Standards Agency, RISA, has been petitioned to utilize future funding from the proposed taxation of all blanks and components purchased worldwide to evaluate the subject matter of guide ring materials and surface finish.

The following company has received a preliminary Scope of Work to perform scanning electron microscope, SEM, evaluations for comparative review of all currently available guide ring materials. It is anticipated that the initial contract for the laboratory investigations shall not exceed $175,000.

The following company has been chosen to perform the testing which is to be followed with a full independent report within three years from the date of contract award.

[www.michmet.com]

All rodbuilders are requested to ask vendors to add an additional 31.25% to the total for all purchases to support this endeavor.

}>

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2009 09:43AM

Bill,

I see that you are playing with your medication dosage again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You know what happens when you do that!!!! Lance should be around soon to take you back to the home.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 12:01AM

Bill, avoid gators this week!

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 13, 2009 01:01AM

3D micro analysis - 20 product types - I week guarantee completion - $ 5,000
3 years intensive multi - site practical 'on-water' testing to validate the weeks work in the lab - $170,000
Official RISA observer to validate all tests ............ William Stevens, Chairman- PRSC
OnYa............... Bill
9.9/10

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 09:07AM

Denis it is necessary to play cards in many different ways to insure pleasure to some and complete confusion to others sitting at the table! The pot is building and at some point the players at the table may again hear ALL IN!

An addenda has beed attached to the original (RFQ) Request For Quotation and submitted to the successful contractor:

Please include an evaluation of the resultant surface hardness and roughness factors reported report which is prefaced by the Abstract presented in this correspondence.

Journal of the American Ceramic Society

Abstract | Full Text: PDF (Size: 1243K) | Citation Tracking

Nanofiber Formation in the Fabrication of Carbon/Silicon Carbide Ceramic Matrix Nanocomposites by Slurry Impregnation and Pulse Chemical Vapor Infiltration

Supported by the National Science Council, Taiwan.

ABSTRACT

The objectives of this work were to investigate the fabrication of carbon-fiber-reinforced SiC ceramic nanocomposites using the slurry impregnation process and the pulse chemical vapor infiltration (PCVI) process and to study the influences of processing parameters of the PCVI process on the microstructure variation of the nanocomposites. In this work, SiC nanosized powder was added to the matrix precursor (silicon powder mixed with phenolic resin), followed by the impregnation of the slurry into the preform. In the PCVI process, to densify the nanocomposites, tetramethylsilane (TMS) vapor mixed with hydrogen was used as the vapor precursor for matrix deposition. Fabrication parameters, such as reactant concentrations, pulse number, and holding time, were studied. Morphologies obtained from various processes were compared.

End Abatract

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 03:36PM

Responding to Bill in an email I thought I'd include my remarks here,,,

Bill I am offcially in favor of the 30+% taxation on all rod parts. In fact, 15% of which can be paid on individual part purchases and go directly to the part companies to insure a focus on quality standards remain our primary concern. The remaining percentage can go to purchasing credits obtained through a one time yearly payment to a rod component company employee of your choice via check (made out to CASH) money order, or cash. We can refer this as the "Rod Component Company Quality Assurance Incentive Program" or RCCQAIP for short.....

Oh yeah Bill, per your email to me, I wouldn't sit by the mail box waiting for that $25K check to "Gon Fishin" to arrive helping to kick off this endeavour. But, rest assured that we have filed your propsal in the proper location for future reference.

In the mean time we will do our part in increasing the quality of our rod components for all to enjoy.

Keep up the good work!

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster