I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Poorly made custom rods at a steep price!
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 06:16PM

I spent last Saturday at one of the largest East Coast's tackle shows, and was amazed at the poor quality of the so-called "custom rods". They were in the $350-500 class. I particularly was suprised at the abysmal feather work done. These rods had feathers strewn all over the rod and just laid out one over the other with no thought behind it. It was a hodgepodge of colors to impress someone. And worse was listening to these guys talk about how they are the best rod builders in the business. If they took as much care with the building of the rest of the rod as they did with the feather or thread work, I don't think the rod will hold up very well. This is what makes me appreciate the time and effort all of you guys put in to rod building, particularly the esthetic side. I guess Barnum was right! There is always someone to buy these rods, but in the long run, I do think good work will win the day.
Sanford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poorly made custom rods at a steep price!
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 06:53PM

Most of these I would not even consider being custom, just hand made. I knew one guy who use to make and sell at local outdoor shows. He always told me don't bother with making things really look good, just call them custom rods and people will buy the up. Well I never follwed his advice and I walys thought his rods looked rather ugly. His were the same fut with thread, all sorts of colors used on one rod and no pattern or sense to it.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.warpspeed1.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 07:35PM

I went to the fishing show in Houston last month and saw the same thing. There was several what I call production rod companies there. While looking at these rods I noticed several flaws such as thread gaps, glue residue, and misaligned guides. These guys call themselves custom rod builders but they are outsourcing the work and they do the public relations. With the prices that they charge I would expect a better quality product.
Pat

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 09, 2009 08:43PM

Years ago there was a rod called CUSTOM MADE It was Aa China copy cat of a Penn rod.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 04:17AM

Sanford, I know the show and booth of which you speak. I too went to that booth. I was with a friend that I have built several rods for and he had quite a chuckle over the questions I asked or should I say the answers to the questions I asked. The best part was the "EXOTIC FEATHER INLAYS". They looked like my old grandma's easter hat. Oh by the way , those exotic feathers can bought at the local box craft store, I know, because my wife has a draw full for her craft projects. They have been at the show for a few years now , but I haven't seen anyone in the area fishing with them. Poorly hand made, not custom made.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2009 10:11AM

Rather than be upset or complain about this gentelman's work, it sounds like this is an excellent opportunity for another builder or builders, to display at the same event and show their superior custom rods. Everything is relative - here is a perfect chance to show the public the different levels involved in custom rod building.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 12:07PM

This was just a commentary rather than a complaint regarding shoddy work. I have already entertained the thought that perhaps a few rod builders get together and show their work at such a show. It is fairly expensive to rent a kiosk at these shows, particularly a big show such as I mentioned, but it probably would be worth it. This is the first time at these shows that I have seen so much in the way of hand made rods, so it struck me as to how the quality was being touted.
Sanford

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: April 10, 2009 01:11PM

Another thought is if you go to a lot of these shows, have a shirt made up with your name on the back, this way people will see it and maybe ask some questions ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster