I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallest size for first spinning guide with 4lb soft mono
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 02:45PM

Assuming guide height is what it needs to be, does anybody use a BYAG16 or even a 12 for a first guide. I'm using a Shimano 750 symetre and a soft 4lb mono. I might occassionally use a 6lb line butt I'm more conerned to push the envelope with light line performance. Running guides will by BLAG4s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallest size for first spinning guide with 4lb soft mono
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:04PM

If you don't want to cast, use size 6's or 5's or 3's for all of your guides.

If you want good distance casting - go larger.

If in doubt - start with a size 30 for the first guide - test cast.
Then go to a size 25 - test cast,
Continue on down until you find that the guide size is beginnning to impact your distance for casting, or your reel - guide drag during retreive.

I would personally go no smaller than a size 20 - but that is this persons opinion only.

p.s.
If you are only lindy rigging or doing applications which mean that the line is simply spooled over the side of the boat, you can run small guides all of the way from the reel to the tip. Not a terribly versitle rod in my opinion, but to each his own.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.125.214.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:05PM

I like to have the line go --thought -- the ring -- instead of on top of it. That is just me. So if you want to experiment try the ( M ) guides. Higher and with a smaller ring size.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:40PM

Marty,

I've messed with a lot of rods for 750's using the NGC and always end up going back to a BYAG20 for the stripper. If you want to email me, I'll dig one out and give you the set-up that's worked well for me.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:02PM

Provided you have the height needed, a size 20 is more than plenty. A 16 could easily work, but it will help if you can get one that's very high.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:12PM

Given the feedback I'm getting, and the more I think about it, the 16 is probably not worth it for such a small weight savings so far down on the rod. I will probably stick with my standard BYAG20, 10; BLAG4s out to the end. If I knew I would never use anything other than tiny braid then maybe I would go smaller, but I like being able to use mono if I want to.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 05:26PM

Hey Marty - don't give up so quick!!! I have built a lot of these rods with M style 12's - you'll love it!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: April 01, 2009 07:00PM

Marc, same here I'm building a couple with Batson M style 10's. We will see how they cast in a couple of days.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 09:14PM

Marty,
I just spent the day fishing 4lb mono on a 7' Lamiglas, with Alps XY 12, 7, then Batson size 4 micros and size 4 tip, worked excellent, casts great.
Tom White

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 10:55PM

Marty,

I've built alot of rods on that format. For most of them I have used a 20-16-10-8-7-6-6or smaller on 7-7.5 ft ultralight rods. I am preparing to build a 7.5 ft spinning rod going down to 4mm guides. I expect to eliminate either ther 8 or 7 and one of the 6's. Basically I agree with what Mark Griffin and Tom have said. After what I heard in High Point, micro with 4-6 lb line, is the way to go! (My hands are too big to deal with 3 mm guides)

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster