I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

braid line cutter- off topic
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:22PM

Nail clippers just don't work with braided line.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: braid line cutter- off topic
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:25PM

Braid Scissors. One blade has a serrated edge to grip the line.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 01, 2009 03:46PM

I forget who makes them but I use the blue plastic fishing pliers with the green foam handle. They're cheap, they float, and they have a carbide line cutter built-in. Works like a champ.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:20PM

Fiskers makes a small pair of scissors work great! those ceramic scissors posted below should also do well

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:30PM

The ceramic scissors mentioned being available from Bingham Enterprises several posts down-I asked Karen that question specifically-she said they cut braid well-great price!

Chris

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:31PM

The best scissors you can find are the ones sold as chicken shears and can be purchased at the $1 store in bulk. I am extremely careful adn cheap, I've been using the same pair of scissors to cut braid, mono, adn crabs (legs off and cut the shell in half) for 2 seasons. The trick to cuttignbraid is to keep it tight and make sure the scissor edges are making contact when teh line touches it. Honestly, I never had a problem cutting them with nail clippers unless the clippers were used as pliers and the edges got damaged.

Or you can buy fancy braid scissors which float, which will let everyone around you know what a doofus you are for dropping them in teh water.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 04:37PM

I found the simple letter opener works great. The plastic one with the little razor blade imbedded in it. Try one ,everybody has one stuck in a drawer.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 06:05PM

I have a pair of titanium scissors that are virtually indestructible a far as the edge goes.
But most any type of sharp scissors will do.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.66.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 06:11PM

I have a pair of scissors made by Calcutta that work pretty good.

Posted by: Pete Licis (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 06:31PM

Don't discount toenail clippers. I've found that they can work very well with all braids. You can get them cheap at discount/surplus stores in bulk, BUT ... remember to bring some line with you and only buy the ones that work. I find the two blades have to line up perfectly for them to work, and maybe only 25% do. You'll know when you have the right one(s), because it'll cut easily and CLEANLY! I tried the special braid scissors ... but having discovered what I said above am back to toenail clippers.

Pete

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 07:11PM

Thanks all for the advice.
Testing starts tomorrow.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 08:49PM

Nothing better than a pair of good automotive "wire side cutters" , they cut close to (on) the knot and never leave ends on your lures.

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 09:15PM

John,
I have tried all of the suggestions posted by the various folks. They all work - some better and some not so good.
However, for myself, I use a pair of 4 inch fiskar scissors that are virtually bullet proof for cutting the line.

I also use the common 4 inch thread nipper. Simple and easy to use since there are no finger or thumb holes to hold the nipper:

[www.threadart.com]

If in doubt - try each of the products suggested and use the one that suits you best.
Each product can work differently for different users as well as for different line.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 09:25PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 12:25PM

Fiskars [www.fiskarscrafts.com]
These work well. Just use them exclusively for braid. For some reason mono seems to
kill the braid cutting ability

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster