I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help on Common Cents explanation
Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: April 01, 2009 01:49PM

Hi all,

I have read all of the Common Cents info and have used the database many times...but i am having a hard time explaining it to others. For example, I have a Dan Craft FT 863-4 that has a ERN of right around 7.0. I love this rod. It is of course rated by Dan as a three weight, but according to the #'s could handle much heavier applications ( i know this rating is used objectively to compare rods, not set line wt. reccomendations). I personally use a 4 wt line, but would not hesitate to go heavier with this blank. I have a friend that likes the rod and might want to add it to his collection, but is set on a "5 wt". How would you explain to someone (in laymans terms) who isn't interested in learning the CC system that this rod would work fine for what he plans on using it for?

Thanks
Carrington Tate
Fort Collins, CO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help on Common Cents explanation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 01:56PM

First, you'd need to educate the customer on what "5-weight" really means. That's a line rating, not a rod rating. So the term "5-weight" means roughly 5/16th of an ounce. Now you can attain that amount of weight with just about any fly line, depending on how much of it you put past the tip. So now the question is simply, is the rod capable of loading with 5/16th ounce of weight and average angler input?

At this point you'd need to ask what his application is; where and how does he normally fish. Is he casting way out, or closer in. Mid-range, perhaps?

Back to the rod in question. In reading the CCS, you no doubt saw Dr. Hanneman's label for DBI (ERN and AA). For any given ERN, those rods possessing a high AA will generally handle a much wider weight range than those with a lower AA. The rod you mention will likely do okay with a 3-weight line due to its very fast action - it can load and cast off the tip. But, the power rating indicates that it can handle a good deal of weight, too, as the tip flattens and you quickly come into the more powerful mid section.

The ERN is important, but along with the AA you get an even better picture of the rod in question.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: April 01, 2009 02:28PM

Thanks Tom, that definitely helps.

He will mainly be Colorado lake fishing, most likely a combination of rainbow & brown trout and smallmouth. I wouldn't hesitate using the 3 wt, but he is hearing from others that he needs a 5 wt.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 02:37PM

Again, what exactly is a "5-weight?" I'm sure, and you probably are too, that those that are telling him that don't understand what fly line numbers relate to.

What you could do, is tell him that the 863-4 is a 5-weight rod. That number on a rod is subjective anyway, and as a custom rod builder you are free to rate the rod any way you want. I used to do this quite often. A guy would come in, tell me what he was going to be doing and using on the rod, and then I selected the blank that would do the best job for him. I didn't care what number was on the blank - what mattered was whether or not it would do the job and make the customer happy.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 02:45PM

Tom has your answer. I do it all the time. Guys who fish the small creeks and streams of the smokies rarely get much more than ten to twenty feet of line out. I take blanks listed at 2 and 3 weights and label them as "4wt" and the customers string them up with #4 lines, fish them, love them, and think I'm the world's greatest rod builder. It is none of their business what blank I selected, as long as they get what they paid for in terms of something that works and does the job for them.

If I left it up to them they would buy 4wt blanks, put on a 4wt line and then wonder why the rod won't load on the small stream after it did so well out in their front yard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster